Racism and all the bad -isms

Statues. That’s where its at. We need more statues and forget the actual history.

Always remember history, always remember its lessons. Otherwise we repeat the bad.

The Foxhole? Jesus Christ mate. You’re surely better than this.

Holding the line for the silent majority. In other words, we are massive right wing snowflakes terrified that gays and blacks are going to take a tiny bit of our privilege away

Watch your sources, in future. About as credible as me linking to The Canary. You’d be on me like a terrier if I did that.

Here’s an actual credible news source reporting the disturbing news today that one in eight people think black people earn less than white people because they lack willpower and motivation.

That’s why we not only need widespread understanding of how bias and discrimination works, but we also need to encourage the ‘vocal minority’ who swallow shit like the fucking foxhole to join the rest of us in the 21st Century.

4 Likes

Off to find out what the Canary is…

From the BBC:

Even media away from the centre ground occasionally make valid points. I genuinely don’t feel that the BBC as a whole leans one way or another. I think the fact that it’s often accused of leaning one way or the other suggests it tries to provide balance across its coverage, even if it doesn’t achieve balance in specific circumstances that are then cited piecemeal as evidence of institutional bias, depending on your point of view.

Do individuals employed by the BBC have different political leanings? Of course, just like all of us.

The Guardian is undoubtedly left leaning though, as the Telegraph is right leaning. Both remain good news outlets, on the whole.

I haven’t done any unconscious bias training (or have I?..just kidding) - for anyone who has, what did you think of it?

What is the problem here?

Every reasonably sized employer in the UK has done some form of unconscious bias training.

It’s fine. It’s only not fine if you’re some kind of frothing gammon who thinks they should bring back Love Thy Neighbour.

Just read the “About Us” section of that Foxhole website and then scan through the first few articles they have.

It’s not a new website, it’s a thinly veiled propaganda “alternative”.

3 Likes

It’s not fine because it actively encourages positive discrimination. Best man for the job, in all cases.

:wink:

The latest Diamond report from Creative Diversity Network appears to show that if there is a problem at the BBC, then it isn’t under-representation of Females, LGB or BAME (onscreen).

Conversely the over 50s and disabled are grossly under-represented.

If there is a lack of diversity at the BBC, then it isn’t in the direction in which they are pushing.

I think we have to be able to distinguish between ‘media’ and ‘angry blog promoting and mainstreaming racism’.

I mean, have a look at a few of their stories. Mostly Anti-Europe, anti-bbc, anti-immigration nonsense. It’s hardly a newsource.

Incredibly uncontroversial. It’s basically the idea of putting in place processes and protocols to ensure that inbuilt unconscious bias is removed from the decision making.

We are all humans, and will tend to lean more favourably towards people who are like us. That’s nobody’s fault, and it’s not racist to have a chimpanzee 200,000 year old hind brain that is mistrusting of people who have different colour skin. It is racist to refuse to acknowledge this and take steps to make sure it doesn’t lead your thinking.

When I select candidates for interview, I don’t see names, personal information, demographics, or equal ops info unless the candidate chooses the make reference to it in their written submission. At interview I’m expected to clearly and transparently score people on what they say, set again expected standards and sample answers.

It’s about 10 years since I did unconscious bias training, which is why it’s bizarre to see it being flagged as evidence of a ‘woke agenda’.

1 Like

The bbc have specific access programmes to increase employment opportunities for disabled people.

Do I have to? My mother in law reads the Daily Mail. At first I thought it was a kind of “know your enemy” kind of thing given she’s from Singapore, but it turns out it does closely align with a lot of her views (including on immigration) :open_mouth:

I try and balance my own news sources but the problem is that there’s not enough time to read everything.

The unconscious bias training sounds sensible to me. Even if it gives a bit more introspection to only a few decision makers it’s got to be worth doing.

It’s really useful. Not only does unconscious bias training seek to address discrimination, if you think about it, who wants to be picking candidates who aren’t necessarily the best ones because of unconscious bias.

It’s always the in laws isn’t it :laughing: There are somethings that me and the father in law don’t talk about for the continued harmony of the family. He’s properly subscribed to the idea that wealthy, older, white men (ie him) are the most discriminated people in the country.

Does he cite your conduct towards him as proof? :joy: :wink:

1 Like

I’m perfectly civil. Expect when he’s throwing out pearlers like Muslims shouldn’t celebrate Christmas and they should integrate into our customs.

1 Like

What are they doing to with regards to addressing the imbalance in other groups?

I don’t know. I don’t work in HR there.