Racism and all the bad -isms

And to think I laughed at America for the ‘Freedoms Fries’ stuff.

1 Like

“fancy british snails” instead of “Escargot” would take really good spin on advertising

1 Like

I don’t trust any company that can’t spell penguin.

3 Likes

With my inherited family (both in-laws now passed) it’s religion. Drives Mrs mad as every-time her uncle and I get together, he brings up religion. I turn to her and say “Can we agree that he started it please?” So much fun to be had with somebody who believes all the bible it true :slight_smile:

Speaking of which and it does apply here, if I wrote a book tomorrow that advocated for slavery, child rape, murder, genocide, flagrant violent racism and bestiality, I’d probably be locked up. How the hell is the bible legal given it’s abhorrent content?

Here are the latest BBC diversity targets, which, with the exception of the disabled, they have already exceeded:

No targets, and therefore no action to address the under-representation of the over 50s.

Obviously, as far as the BBC is concerned, the only purpose the over 50s serve is to pay the TV licence.

I’d almost understand this if the figures were reflective of the population:

Why are you telling me this? I haven’t said anything about discrimination of over fifty’s.

If the BBC are under representing the over 50’s then they should try and remedy that. Happy?

The jumping off point for this is Klopptimist posting a piece suggesting the BBC trying to tackle unconscious bias was evidence of a woke agenda. Which is bollocks because…

1. The source is an alt-right troll blog, with a bee in its bonnet about the BBC and progressive politics in general.

2. I’d actually be amazed if the BBC had not been applying unconscious bias processes to its recruitment for years already. Most sizeable employers do.

3. As a huge employer, and public funded organisation, taking steps to ensure that the workforce is more representative of the public is something to celebrate.

1 Like

What about the remaining 3.2%.

I’d imagine they prefer not to say. I tend to write Martian BEEP BEEP when asked questions like that. Like I write human when asked about my ethnicity. Proves I’m a raging schizophrenic.

I wondered if it was people having no sex at all, like 42 year old men with two kids.

Ahem.

2 Likes

I wish I could tell you that it improves for 44 year old men with two kids…but I can’t. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Other than the fact that I would have thought most of these were taller, is this tweet sizeist?

1 Like

The figures from the BBC demonstrate that it has more than achieved its diversity targets (with the exception of the disabled). It therefore doesn’t have an unconscious recruitment bias to address other than its bias (conscious or otherwise) against the groups it chooses not to afford targets/quotas.

If making its workforce “more” representative of the UK populace is its objective, legitimate or otherwise, then it has failed miserably. As the Diamond figures demonstrate, it is becoming ever more unrepresentative of the populace.

This might explain the growing antipathy towards it, not just from the alt-right but from moderate old lefties such as myself.

How can they do this? Isn’t this racial/sexual discrimination?

I‘m dubious that the original source for this story is accurate. I highly doubt that tackling unconscious bias is something the BBC are only just getting round to. As I said before, it’s over a decade since I did that training at work, and longer that that since my employer starting considering the issue.

First they came for Mr Potato Head, and I said nothing, for I was not a whimsical plastic potato with interchangeable faces.

3 Likes

Isn’t it the most ethnically diverse cabinet in history?

BAME MPs make up 18% of the Cabinet compared with 14% in the UK population (although that census is from 2011, we’re just about to have another one).
“According to the Institute for Government, there have been only five full cabinet members from such backgrounds ever” prior to the new appointments by Johnson in 2019. Those were Paul Boateng, Valerie Amos (under Blair), Sayeeda Warsi (under Cameron), Sajid Javid (first under Cameron), and Priti Patel (first under May).

I think the way you explain it to white boys is ‘Don’t worry. The odds are still very much stacked in your favour. You’re going to be fine’.