Racism and all the bad -isms

Did you read the article?

1 Like

Yes. Lots of allegations, lots of misconduct and zero murders.

I can see how the story of a police officer having sex with a rape victim could be spun in an entirely different way.

Interesting that the second paragraph goes straight to accusations of the police manhandling women illegally gathering in London. They missed out the illegality though.

1 Like

Ah, I see. As you were lads. It’s only a few rapes, some sexual assault and a load of allegations of harassment and improper conduct.

Absolutely nothing related at all to an officer going one step further along that spectrum and murdering a woman. Completely different kettle of fish and nothing at all to do with a culture of misogyny and objectification.

Don’t know why I was concerned really.

1 Like

Do elaborate.

1 Like

Murder is not one step up from rape as you well know.

1 Like

Met her because of the case so they got to know each other. Months later they met in a pub one night and had a fling. Quite understandable and nothing wrong.

Nothing about her being forced into it in an interview room.

1 Like

From the article, between 2012-2018 there were 119 complains upheld. That’s essentially 20 per year. They employ 44,000 people. Not a particularly high percentage you have to agree. 0.045% of the workforce have a complaint upheld against them per year. Hardly institutional sexism and misogyny.

It was relevant to your comment :roll_eyes: [also indirectly related to one of my reasons for wanting to leave the EU]

Glad to see it’s just the police and never a profession with access to kids…

Or can we simply agree that some people (a tiny minority) are really seriously fucked up and need locking up permanently? I’d put them in an extremely unsafe chair but I know you’re not keen.

2 Likes

I don’t think it would warrant a complaint and further action if that was the case, would it?

A police officer should not be having sex with someone who is vulnerable following a sexual assault. It is clearly a serious transgression, and abuse of power, and it’s absolutely fucking baffling that you’d try and defend it.

Rape is a pretty serious offence though, right?

You don’t get to brush aside hundreds of complaints of misogeny, harassment, assault and rape because those men made women’s life miserable didn’t go on an murder them.

I mean, shall we congratulate them for not murdering the women they were raping?

If the point you have takeaway point from the article is not ‘three cheers for the police - only 119 of them are guilty of abusing women’, then you are part of the problem.

The point is that the police have a track record of covering up, ignoring, and failing to take seriously hundreds, of not thousands, of complaints. There is a culture of closing ranks and protecting their own. Just like with racism.

And if you don’t believe that, take a couple of minutes to consider the football club you support.

2 Likes

What the actual fuck is wrong with you?

If you want to rail against against disgusting predatory teachers, I’m with you brother. Every since I was 14 and was sickened every week by Mr Ramsden’s IT classes, in which he’d have his printer on the floor and send the girl with the shortest skirt over to collect his printing.

But the conversation is about police attitudes to women. You can’t excuse the police because other professions have their miscreants. That’s whataboutism in its purest form.

I don’t think the police force is unique in attracting people to its ranks who should not be there, but I do think the police force is maybe unique in attracting the number of, there is no other word for it, thick people to the profession, and no other institution who have have the track record for covering up the transgressions of their colleagues.

1 Like

This is what happened

According to the documents, released under freedom of information laws, the rape victim complained that the investigating officer “took advantage of her vulnerability and had sex with her on two occasions”. The officer was subsequently dismissed.

Rape and murder both carry the highest criminal sanction available (life). Speak to those who have been raped and many would say that they’d wished they’d been killed.

Taking another person’s life is, of course, the most serious crime anyone could commit, but rape can be, and often is, worse. Often more violent, more dehumanising, more traumatic, with wider and more damaging consequences.

3 Likes

I’m not defending anything, I’m merely pointing out that there are always two (actually 3) sides to every story.

You congratulate who you want, I’ll consider that murder is worse than rape. Surely you don’t need that explaining.

The police probably do close ranks and protect their own. Unlike every single other organisation on the planet. The idea that it’s unique to them is laughable.

I think you’d consider the actual fuck that’s wrong with me is that I don’t get so wound up by online debate that I ask aggressive questions.

I’m not whataboutasizing, I’m pointing out that these crimes are in no way unique to the police but they seem to have to carry the can. The murderer in question could have been a teacher or a lawyer or a vet or a minister. Would there have been protests and deep media soul searching against those organisation?

I have many friends who are police on many levels and the accusations you hurl at them with abandon is not representative of them or my experiences of and with them. But then that’s just my typical irrelevant personal experience when we need to look at hard facts and data. Well the hard facts tell us that less than 0.05% of the police are guilty of sexual misconduct. Far too high a number but institutional? Nah, not even close.

It’s a deep question for sure but can we agree that terminating somebody’s life is the worse thing that can happen to them? Yes you can watch your family die in a fire (joyous topic). But one person doing one thing to one person, murdering them must have to be the worst.

I know a rape victim who killed himself. I know another who now has 4 kids and a happy life. If they’d both just been murdered, there’s one happy family that wouldn’t exist.

I’m not trivialising anything, just pointing out that death / murder is the ultimate full stop.

I’d be more concerned about their abilities myself.

But I will agree while they need to be good at their jobs they also need to be willing to be inclusive of all Europeans. That picture doesn’t say they wont be.

Sure, but I wasn’t the one to have a dig at the “whiteness” of what is actually the most ethnically diverse cabinet in history.

That said, the lack of diversity in the candidates for a senior EU post IS a problem.

Is it a problem of those making the appointments or a lack of viable options?