Racism and all the bad -isms

I dont think this is correct, at least not in the UK.

Some of those are not great examples. The 2nd, 8th and 9th definitely have racist undertones at the very least. The others aren’t inherently racist at all.

twitter seems to be the place where people reveal themselves to be cunts… sorry, reveal their true colours

Nope I was right the first time

3 Likes
2 Likes

Apparently the name Kevin is racist now.
Can anyone explain this?

1 Like

2 Likes

Seriously. I don’t understand. Is it an anti Irish thing?

No idea, first I’ve heard of it! Where did you hear it was considered racist?

From the BBC

Harrison is asked about the use of ‘Kevin’ as a racist term.

“The first time I became aware of the slur was reading the report. It will now form part of the ECB investigation,” says Harrison.

“What will you do if you find England players are using this phrase?” asks committee chair Julian Knight. “You were fairly quick to ban Ollie Robinson."

Huh?

Yes, Azim Rafeeq, the cricketer accusing Yorkshire Cricket club of racism, said that Alex Hales called him and other non white people Kevin because that is what Hales had named his dog, who was black.

Not sure where Hales got that idea from.

Just seen that Rafiq has referred to it in his testimony. I had no idea it was a phrase/name used derogatively.

Rafiq says it came from Ballance and was allegedly routinely used by him to refer to “people of colour”. Alex Hales is then said to have named his dog Kevin because he had black fur.

It sounds like it might actually be Ballance’s own personal code that others within the dressing room have picked up. I don’t know if it’s a Zimbabwean thing, not to my knowledge at least. Perhaps Ballance thought it was a clever way of being racist without using familiar racist language?

1 Like

It’s also a common trope of otherizing someone with a “funny name” (think of the Chelsea lads calling Azpilicueta “dave”). I guarantee no one who did it thought it was racist, but that is often the problem with these situations, especially when you’re talking about group culture rather than just behavior of individuals - the more people do it the more normal and acceptable something seems. Depending on the context refusing to use someone’s actual name, or doing it in a way that highlights its otherness (think of the way many in the GOP will purposefully butcher the Vice President’s name to emphasize she isn’t really one of us), can contribute to a pretty hostile environment. If you live in the UK and have a “normal” name its likely you’ve never thought twice about something like this. But I guarantee you your brown friends have.

2 Likes

In Germany there is the phenomenon of ‘Kevinism’ - no joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevinism

1 Like

I thought it was ‘racist’ because it was the male equivalent of ‘a karen’ . But seems it’s even more bizarre than that.

1 Like

Kevinism and Chantalism (Kevinismus, Chantalismus ) refers to the negative preconceptions [German people] have of Germans with certain trendy, exotic-sounding first names such as and other names (which are considered to be an indicator of a low social class Low social class or the French female name Chantal.

Kevin is trendy and / or exotic?

2 Likes

Careful now, your anti-Kevin bigotry is showing…!

1 Like

It was trendy in the early nineties, because loads of parents here watched Home Alone or mum thought Kevin Costner was hot and named their baby boys Kevin. At least that’s how I remember it, could be wrong. Surprised we don’t have more boys named Hoff or David now that I think about it.

1 Like

Surely it was Kevin Keegan? :slightly_smiling_face:

You can definitely have a good go at aging people by their names.

Kevin and Justin were popular around the early 80s in the UK…not sure why Justin was?

1 Like

Alors là tu me poses une colle!