Racism and all the bad -isms

You don’t escape mate. I remember Colin being quite popular in the 70s as well!

Another reason for Kevin perhaps being popular…

The Wonder Years Kevin Arnold GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, you.

1 Like

I’m going to tell my parents on you.

So, long story short, Kevin isn’t racist but the way it was being used by Alex Hales could be seen as racist.

3 Likes

Yeah, so Germans love Native Americans (national stereotype). No idea why, but sometimes they even dress up like Cherokees and stuff.
Anyway, therefore ‘Dances with Wolves’ was a massive hit in Germany and so they all called their kids Kevin.
Also, lots of people in the DDR called their kids American sounding names as a small act of rebellion against their Stalinist regime and Kevin was one of the names they associated with the West.

My brother’s name is Kevin and he is a complete c**t.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

The gag is too easy but the thought’s there :wink:

That’s what she said!

2 Likes

That’s quite ridiculous. The media surely has an obligation to at least check their publications, ffs.

2 Likes

When will Chelsea players be forced into apologising for calling Azpilicueta “Dave”?

Pretty sure Roger Lloyd Pack (RIP) will be getting complaints……

Cheteshwar didn’t seem to mind being called “Steve”. He probably was unaware that it was being used to call all foreign players that though.

Edit : There was no indication that the name Steve was used to refer to other players.

Also really not sure as to whether that could be construed as racism. Referring to Cheteshwar as Steve.

I thought he did.

Might have misread it, but I am sure he used to complain about it and said he wanted people to call him Cheteshwar

This is a video of him. He said he’d rather be called Cheteshwar but he didn’t seem to be that overly insulted by using it. Wasn’t a complaint

1 Like

But Pujara comes from a different place and hasn’t faced what Rafiq has had to face in Yorkshire where something like this gets to be taken as something of a racist nature (Can’t blame him when he’s had to face all the other stuff which was undeniably racist).

And there’s no indication that they used the nickname “Steve” to other people.

Roughly 1/4 of the way down

Rafiq said Cheteshwar Pujara was called ‘Steve’ by coaches, players and the Yorkshire website after Brooks began referring to the India batter using that name because he could not pronounce his first name.

Pujara said he did not like being called ‘Steve’ and would prefer his team-mates to call him Cheteshwar.

Pretty clear cut that he didn’t like it, so if he prefers to be called Cheteshwar, then call him Cheteshwar it’s not rocket science.

True. But I just don’t know if that needs to have any racist connotations attached. Could be just something people used as a reference to being how difficult he could be to dismiss (reference to Steve Waugh perhaps).

It’s more about respect and having the decency to make the effort to address someone by their preferred name. The racist connotations are that generally people are not as good at pronouncing names that they are unfamiliar with. That is simply a cultural thing rather than necessarily racist or xenophobic. It’s similar to being able to recognise differences in people’s facial features. That’s the reality.

With names like Cheteshwar and Azpilicueta (I mean, Cesar doesn’t seem that hard to say)…nicknaming them “Steve” or “Dave” or whatever is not meant to be offensive or racist, but it’s lazy and betrays a fundamental lack of respect that the person or group won’t have the decency to make the effort to address them by their preferred name.

1 Like

A guy on my team at work has an unusual name. I asked him how to pronounce it and he told me. It’s pretty easy from there.