Racism and all the bad -isms

Read some of the comments on there,pure comedy gold(but sadly probably posted completely seriously)

1 Like

As with any job role it should always go to most qualified person regardless of sex/gender.
I’d be very suprised if that was the case here though.

It says he was a personal trainer and welfare officer so it’s possible that he has had to deal with this kind of thing before. Essentially, it’s making sure that public businesses with toilet facilities provide sanitary products. More of a glorified janitor than anything else.

I’d guess Scotland has some female personal trainers and welfare officers.
If he’s the most qualified candidate, by all means, but the extended remit of his job suggested in the article would suggest otherwise.

I heard him say it at the time and thought it wasn’t the best thing to say as one of the co analysts was female.If she wasn’t there would anyone have thought anything about it ,would it have been ok ?

Brings back memories of the gentleman Alan Hansen on MOTD a number of years ago tackling racism and getting lashed out of it for using the word colour as he wasn’t sure which terminology to use.i think that episode had a huge effect on him which eventually led to him retiring from punditry .

My teenage girls regularly refer to their friends ,both male and female as lads,as i did growing up,and none of them have a problem with it.

1 Like

"When Jennings protested that he was just watering flowers, the officer asked: “How do I know that’s the truth?”

“Because I had a water hose in my hand,” Jennings said."

Great police work FFS

They should charge the neighbour for being a cunt as well.

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

What is interesting in that article is that positive perceptions of Muslim people in general have come from the positive portrayal of an individual Muslim man that most of those people would not have actually met.

Generally, if people personally know someone of a particular race or religion they are going to have a very different perspective of what that particular sort of person is like compared to the stereotypes that are created in the media.

Ethnic minorities tend to be under-represented in popular culture outside of the news and most of the news stories tend to be negative and give rise to association fallacies: a Muslim carries out a terrorist act, therefore all Muslims are terrorists; a black man commits a rape, therefore all black men a rapists, and so on.

I think this is why it is important for media to be more representative of ethnicity. Possibly, this is something that football has been getting right?

2 Likes

I was thinking in terms of what is on the pitch which is what the article was alluding to.

In contrast to the physical contact sports, arguments to ban transgender women from women’s snooker tournaments smack of bigotry.

I’d really like someone to try and demonstrate that being born male is an advantage in snooker.

2 Likes

well snooker is normally played after the feast is completed, in the den whilst enjoying brandy and cigars, traditionally, the fairer sex should be retiring to the sitting room to discuss matters of social importance and letting the menfolk discuss matters of state.

when would the ladies comp have had a chance to practice?

4 Likes

I’ve actually wondered why it is that sports like snooker and darts are not open to female players (I know there have been exhibition matches involving female players in snooker but not a real tournament as far as I am aware). Doesn’t make much sense to have gendered sports when no physical traits are really beneficial.

1 Like

TBH, I wasn’t even aware that there were separate gendered competitions for darts and snooker. It’s just that they have traditionally been male dominated. Are there separate women’s chess championships? Genuine question. I really don’t know.

Snooker is, think darts is as well. There’s just not many female players compared to the men and their best don’t tend to trouble the top male pros.

1 Like

So what does that tell us? Women are culturally discouraged to play or that if you go to a “drinker’s” pub at night it tends to be mostly men? As they’re both mainly pub based games, the one follows the other. No reason why a woman can’t match / beat a man in any sport based on skill. Shooting, archery, bowls, bowling, curling par 3 golf, etc etc etc.

Although IMHO darts and snooker aren’t sports.

It’s mostly about accessibility rather than competitive fairness. A sport that has such a strong gender imbalance despite a lack of clear sex-based advantage is still one that is not attractive for women to get involved in. Once you create male and female divisions at the grass roots it’s not easy to get rid of that once you get into competitive ranks.

The interesting thing is that in my admittedly minimal experience, both darts and snooker at grass roots was mixed with a not insignificant female presence. But maybe that’s a reflection on the masculinity of Welsh women :rofl:

1 Like