Racism and all the bad -isms

…at basic kindness.

To be fair, thanks to Dane raising it, we’re now going to have player of the match polls, rather than man of the match. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

But shouldn’t we have a poll about that? I think Dane is raising a fair point. How is it oppressing anyone to name a “Man of the Match” in a men’s fixture? Let the women call their Person of the Match whatever they want.

I think this is the autocratic attitude (with due respect to you) that many of us more traditional folk find so disagreeable.

How is it oppressing anyone calling it player of the match?

3 Likes

Non-gendered human of the match, it is then.

SMH

'Ev’rybody’s talking 'bout
Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
This-ism, that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m

All we are saying is give peace a chance’

(Some dude from Liverpool.)

4 Likes

It isn’t, but “Player of the Match” is more accurate. I mean we aren’t including the referee, coaching staff or the police officers on duty, are we?

OK, I was being facetious there but most gender neutral terms are generally for purposes of clarity and conciseness rather than any concept of political correctness. For example, it is far easier to refer to a “police officer” rather than a “policeman or policewoman”. That doesn’t mean that you can’t use gendered terms when it is of relevance.

“Player of the Match” is actually quite eloquent because it can be used for men’s, women’s and children’s matches (even those that are mixed). Man of the Match can still be used - I think people enjoy the alliterativeness of it.

You might want to revisit this at some point when you sober up.

2 Likes

Another reason to use non gendered terms might be to avoid a situation I was in when I casually referred to a Policeman, and they snapped back at me ‘Police Officer, thanks. I’m not a man’. :grimacing:

Sorry, very sober (sadly) here. They were specific players who’s skill was prevalent not their physical attributes. We’re not talking Drogba or Heskey here or Henry for that matter. Players who’s technical ability was their attribute, not their physical size. I’ll throw zola into the mix too.

My point was, more democracy, less autocracy.

1 Like

No. All of those players would dominate with their athleticism in the women’s game.

Men are more athletic than women. Are you arguing otherwise? I thought that was for the wokey lefties to do.

If you don’t think Suarez would run through women like Hugh Hefner then I don’t know what to tell you.

What he did to Togo in the Confederation’s Cup was bad enough. And those were men.

It makes total sense to gender separate football, because it’s a physical game in which men hold a significant advantage over women. Obviously a smaller player can thrive in the men’s game, and you might get an absolute unit in the women’s game, but they are exceptions.

By the way, I’ve never understood why Luis Suarez was thought of as a small player. Didn’t Kenny used to call him ‘the wee man’. The lad was 6ft tall.

Star Trek Kirk GIF

1 Like

It’s actually a problem within the professions. I know from within the NHS that there is a traditional perception that Doctors are men and nurses are women. I have a friend who trained as a nurse 30 years ago after leaving the army medical corps. His class in the nursing college had 60 students of which only he and two others were men. Whilst working in the teaching hospital he was often mistaken for a junior doctor rather than trainee nurse. Possibly being slightly older didn’t help. I think perceptions have been shifting on this.

However, that is with ungendered titles. There are still job titles like “midwife” that are used that can be a man or woman. I’m assuming that there is no suitable ungendered equivalent for that. Birthing assist? It doesn’t really work, does it?

2 Likes

Policeman or policewoman - seven syllables. I think you are missing the point there.

Men are significantly stronger than women at the same size. They’re also quicker.

Sure, you could have women footballers stronger than Zola, and they wouldn’t be able to get within 5 yards of him.

1 Like

This can’t be a thing surely?

People actually debating why we need to change from calling someone man or woman to person.

Crazy crazy people that walk this earth.

And surprise surprise only in the UK do people find these subjects to slobber over.

If you’re a man who works in the force, you’re either a policeman or a police officer.
For women, you’re either a police women or a police officer.
Both factual (and last time I checked) legal terminology to use.

& if you have a man and women come up to you and pull you over (like I did the other day) then I’ll simply user the term “officers”