Rafael "Rafa" Benítez Maudes

When you’re in a result crisis, bring out the bluest suit you have in your closet.

:joy:

3 Likes

I bet his dogs are the best trained dogs in all of Merseyside.

1 Like

one of us

2 Likes

Story also featured on BBC News. Really love the guy.

5 Likes

Ah tell you what. What a smashing couple.

A credit to the city of Liverpool

5 Likes

Nice to see Rory McIlroy in the line up with Rafa and Montse there too!

Rafa’s song was the game’s highlight today.

That’s classy culture. :sunglasses: :two_hearts:

6 Likes

Rafa’s better off out of there anyway. What’s the betting he’ll go to Newcastle when they sack Howe? The new owners wanted him but he’d gone to Everton by the time they came in.

2 Likes

I think Rafa should be director of the club and just relax. Why take all that stress of being a football manager. He has won trophies, he has nothing to prove anymore.
He is a legend.

7 Likes

I doubt this is his motive anymore since he signed up for Everton! :joy:

1 Like

I hope not. He’s better than being at that human rights-abusing club.

1 Like

This is true, but it seems like an obvious move.

1 Like

Aye probably but wouldn’t it be nice if he told Newcastle to shove it on the basis of their human rights record and ambitions of sports washing?

Sad but predictable. Never understood the decision.

2 Likes

He did take a job in China so I think that’s unlikely to happen. Anyway this has to be his last job in the top flight. I can see him taking a national team job next. Maybe Saudi Arabia or North Korea.

He’ll always be a legend to me but it’s sad to see him just taking any old job now. He is miles past it as a manager and he must have known how it was going to end at Everton. What possible enjoyment could he have got from that experience? No one needs that much money.

3 Likes

Is it true he gets 11m payoff?

Wish granted. I actually begin to believe the Chinese did something to him. Most curious.

Selling Digne worked out fine then

1 Like

He almost completed the remit, as they are close to the relegation spots but I expect they will survive. Agent Rafa did as much as he could in the time given.

11 managers in 11 years there, I think.

Rafa’s bad luck that they didn’t let him spend, and that his strikers were injured for much of his stint there. Still, they should have been better than they were, but patience was in short supply for the former Liverpool manager.

Can’t stand Everton. In friendlier days I didn’t mind them doing well enough, not better than us though, obviously. These days I find it hilarious to watch them spend loads of money under their owners with no real plan, as they cycle through managers and still get no nearer to where they were years ago under Moyes. It was the good old days for them, but for us it would have been terrible.

Rafa is well out of it. Go and walk the dog on the beach at Caldy and West Kirby. All that open sand. Beautiful. And top tip Rafa, there’s a lovely chippy in West Kirby. Fish and chips, sitting on the benches overlooking the boating lake, and to the Welsh hills beyond in the distance, makes me homesick!

Rafa has football in his bones, so he will probably work again, but I sort of hope he doesn’t. If he can’t shake it, sort out an amateur team in the West Cheshire league. The standard will be similar to Everton!

2 Likes