Rafael "Rafa" Benítez Maudes

I wouldn’t think so. He’s always talked about wanting to settle down in the Merseyside. He probably loves Liverpool the city and its people far too much to wanting to get bogged down by the club rivalries. It cannot be further different from keeping an Ancelotti. Rafa’s family is based out in Liverpool now. At this point of time, It’s more of him taking a job in a city he wants to work in and Rafa improves clubs background structure immensely too. He’ll do marvelously well with the Everton youth academy as well.

2 Likes

I like him as a person actually but his career moves and choices are quite strange actually for a very well regarded coach.

1 Like

Put me your ignore list then.

What the Blueshite fans need to ask themselves is this…
When their team is walking out onto the pitch in a cup final, who would they rather have in the dug-out to ensure they are dragged over the line to win their first silverware in what seems like a millennia… Rafa or Nuno Santos.?
Yeah… I thought so
Even the diehard Blueshite fans are quietly hoping they get Rafa… Just need to keep making noise to prove their ‘Bitters’ title remains in place

The only strange career move for him was the one to China.

Apart from that dont see any of his moves as being out of char for him

He saw the potential in Newcastle with the stadium and the fan following that club has. Ashley didnt.

Chelsea he was a ln interim manager at best and he performed above expectations at the limited time he got given there even with the fans being against him.

Real madrid was a childhood dream of his and any manager would join there.

Napoli … He did a decent job and kept Inter from freefall after the mess that jose had left the club in(as he inevitably does for whatever club he manages).

With Everton , its a premier league club with some spending ability and a new stadium on the way. Add that and the afore mentioned link to the city that rafa has and it makes total sense for him at this point in his career.

Obviously, the ideal case scenario for Rafa would be to be managing Liverpool but with Klopp there… Thats an impossibility.

I heard he took the RM job because he had promised his father, as a youngster and injury ended his football career, that he would one day manage them… If true, that obligation alone would have been difficult to ignore

So You’ll Never Walk Alone, always one of us etc is only applicable on the fans terms it seems to some.

Fuck that. Listen to the words of the families of the Hillsborough victims and how they feel about him.

Think back to 25th May 2005.

Think back to FA Cup final day 2006 (the last time we’ve won that trophy incidentally).

Think back to the players we signed of the highest calibre who came because of Rafa.

Think back to Rafa giving it both barrels to the league and Ferguson. Anyone believes that was emotive and unplanned obviously doesn’t know the man.

Think back to when he said he wanted to return, while he was going to Inter.

His family lives on Merseyside because he was our manager. They made it their home. Would anyone here not take a job that allowed them to live with his family because a few people are getting precious over his potential new employer??

When the chips are down he would be the first man I’d want in my corner. He is as much Liverpool as Kenny to me. He got us. He understood. He is one of us. Managing Everton should not and does not change a thing nor does it demean his achievements at our club.

And he is still the only Liverpool manager to win a trophy in each of his first two seasons.

I only hope common sense prevails and he is given the reception he deserves if and when he returns to Anfield.

We’ve won club football’s biggest prize 6 times. He was manager for one of those in the greatest CL / European Cup final ever. He should have his face on that banner at the very minimum.

12 Likes

It’s similar to Ancelotti in terms of where they both are in their careers. I get that it’s handy for Rafa to commute from the Wirral and that his wife loves it there and his daughters consider themselves Scousers but it’s not stopped him taking jobs all over the world before.

I don’t wish Rafa any ill-will at all. Great manager for us and he’ll do an OK job at Everton, but his best days are over.

1 Like

He started his coaching career in real madrid coaching the youth sides.

He wasn’t all bad in real madrid but had to deal with divas like cr7 etc. I daresay he would do better now in real with guys like sergio ramos , cr7 out of the club though… As i said , his “failure” at RM has a lot to do with the culture of RM at that time.

2 Likes

Maybe with respect to the age etc. But w.r.t everything else… Rafa improves every club he’s at from the ground up including the academy etc too. Look at the regard Newcastle United fans still hold him in the highest regard for the work he put on in the academy as well.

And he was responsible for recommending Phil to us when inter could not hold him.

It’s probably the owners who do not appreciate enough. Ancelotti talks about being in a club long enough to build a dynasty etc but thats all talk. He’s the professional salesman who barely stays 2 years in a club and leaves by choice.

I thought it strange not only the choice of clubs but that he seems to have a fair few of pretty short term gigs. I find that for a coach of his pedigree, he could definitely have plenty of clubs who would offer him more stability in terms of length of stay, thats what I find strange, not the type of clubs, like you said Madrid, Napoli are big clubs in their own rights…and like you said, the latest China one is probably pretty strangest of the lot.

EDIT: Just wondering whether he is the type that just want to work and would go for the first job that comes along? There are plenty of coaches who does not mind taking a break to wait for a great club with a good fit for him especially one with such a pedigree. But he comes across as not being too choosy about his next job. Might be wrong, but that seems the way to me.

1 Like

Sorry this is going too far. Kenny went to all the funerals for Christ sake!

2 Likes

Yep I agree with what you said Roydom but I wouldn’t agree with this bit.

1 Like

It’s not Liverpool fans who will turn on him, not a chance. The insults and abuse will come from the other side of Stanley Park, the racist fans of the self appointed people’s club.

2 Likes

He did which is one of the many reasons why he is a legend. This is not about one upmanship or trying to prove one is better than the other for Christ’s sake.

Rafa was in charge when those two leeches were running the show. If it wasn’t for him calling them out and shining a spotlight on their shenanigans who knows were we would have ended up. That in of itself made the fans aware of exactly what was happening behind the scenes and he galvanised the fan base to come together against the owners.

For that alone he is as much Liverpool as Kenny. Both hugely dignified men who love this club. Why you felt the need to bring up Kenny attending the funerals when Rafa had nothing to do with us I find puzzling.

3 Likes

Very possible. But at can’t alter how they receive him but we can ensure let him know that we still love him for everything he did for us.

1 Like

In all fairness to Rafa , he wasn’t a part of LFC then.

I agree that you can’t equate Rafa and Kenny. Both of them in their way did what they felt was right by the club during their times here.

4 Likes

Sorry but you’re the one insulting Kenny by needlessly bringing him into it to big up Rafa (something he doesn’t need and almost certainly would be horrified to see)! Kenny is one of our most successful players, most successful managers and the beating heart of this club, he’s been LFC since the 70s. He has a stand named after him. Rafa has done a lot of good at appearances and to charities over Hillsborough but it pales into insignificance compared to what Kenny lived through and has done since the event. Love Rafa as much as you like but don’t stick him near the same level as Kenny.

2 Likes

looooooool

2 Likes

I think if he takes the job then for the derby he will be politely welcomed at Anfield but not celebrated.

However, once we beat them 4-0 he will have three sides of the stadium chanting his name all night.

4 Likes