Rafael "Rafa" Benítez Maudes

Please show me where I insulted Kenny?

If you are unable to accept that Rafa is as much Liverpool as Kenny to me (which is what I believe I said, ie that it is my opinion) without interpreting that as insulting Kenny, which I’m sure he’d be horrified to think it was an insult, then I don’t know how to respond.

It’s perfectly acceptable to praise and acknowledge both and their impact on the club and their lasting legacies without making it a competition. I chose Kenny as he is the embodiment of the club and praise doesn’t come much higher. And it is praise I believe that Rafa deserves. Ignoring his charitable work, I’m talking about saving this club from H&G. He fought a lonesome battle for a long time. Because he loves this club and knew we were heading for the pit had nothing happened. He made it happen, we all followed.

You may disagree which is fine, no problem. But to suggest I have insulted Kenny by comparing both men you have actually insulted me. If you cannot show how I have insulted Kenny then please retract.

Or perhaps look up the definition of the word insult before using.

And I shall most definitely continue to"stick him at the same level" as Kenny. Because to me that’s where he belongs.

3 Likes

What??

Rafa won us the Champions League and came close to getting us the PL, but what he did in no way compares with what Klopp has done. Klopp has changed the DNA of the club from the 90s/noughties perenially fourth hangover. Until last season’s aberration we were ruthless and feared all over Europe. We’ll be back again next season.

Rafa is a legend and maybe he’ll manage to stay a legend even if he takes this job, but Klopp is approaching Paisley if not Shankly level awe and respect.

3 Likes

Rafa is an excellent manager. I think he has endured some misfortune in the opportunities he has had after Liverpool.

Speculative I know… but had Rafa enjoyed FSG as owners, I think he would have brought the league title home, probably another European Cup to the one he got, and established us as contenders at the very top.

We went very close to the title on his watch, and also made a second European Cup final. We played some of the best football I’ve seen from Liverpool and we had some special moments. To win the league, and stay there challenging for year after year, needs something more than excellent coaching, which Rafa has in abundance. It needs the whole club pulling in the same direction, starting with the owners. We all know the nature of the owners Rafa worked under, and they hollowed us out from within, almost to the point of oblivion.

Rafa departed, did some good work elsewhere at one or two clubs, but never quite got the love, or the circumstances, to stay somewhere a long time and build up a dynasty. He has had a few bitty jobs and now Everton comes along.

He will improve them, for sure. He will get them in the conversation for top four, and my guess is they will do about what Leicester did last season - go close to top four, but fall short, just.

Everton fans will respect him, but they won’t love him.
Liverpool fans already respect and love him. For a few they will be sad if he goes there. I can understand that, as Everton are local rivals and their fans are baying Orcs.

But on a human level, Montse is in Caldy, the family is ensconced on the Wirral, and this job has come up for Rafa.

He should take it. And if he does, he has my best wishes. To a point though… it is Everton after all.

13 Likes

Excellently put.

Still no formal announcement from Everton. Obviously, Rafa joining them wasn’t as close as the media thought. It’s not like they have to negotiate his departure from another club. So, what’s holding this up?

1 Like

If he was managing liverpool in 13/14 , He would have won the league comfortably…

Rafa the Bitter!!

See the likes of Southall all being typically bitter and warning against the appointment.

I am grudgeingly getting used to the idea.

Whatever happens, we will always be there for Rafa when he needs our moral support.

I don’t put anyone on ignore. I prefer to
engage with people and call them out than let them peddle away their narratives without recourse. Interesting that you would choose that defensive option of a response when my stance is that LFC fans should be more discerning of the facts about who Rafa is and what happened i.e. I’d expect a deeper understanding of how things really transpired as the info is also as readily available as the click bait.

I don’t think that is entirely unreasonable so if you wish to be offended then, well, that’s your choice.

3 Likes

I am not offended, however, you are quite aggressive in your posts towards me. Whatever! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Rafa was, is and always will be a club legend for his services to the club as manager. To equate that status with a man who achieved so much on the pitch, behind the scenes, as manager (twice) and ambassador is going just a little too far IMHO.

Also, Rafa’s time at the club didn’t end all that well sadly.

1 Like

I think it’s great the level of interest this has raised. It shows we still love Rafa (admittedly to various levels) that it has led to so much discussion and disagreements.

If it was Rodgers or Hodgson I doubt we’d care half as much.

2 Likes

I’d actually pay Hodgson his taxi fare to get him to Everton.

3 Likes

Forgive me but I fail to see the aggression that you’re referencing. My recent posts were thought out and clearly portrayed. The accusation of aggression is not only incorrect but imho a clear example of a method you’ve used in the past to deflect the rampant inaccuracies you have posted. We’re all here to engage; I personally don’t need everyone to agree with me and I’ve been called out on some of my bullshit in the past so happy days, it’s a forum. What isn’t fair play is getting into a disagreement of a sort and then baselessly throwing out a random accusation with the ubiquitous ‘whatever’ tacked on.

3 Likes

Rafa being appointed as a boss of everton probably means they’ll be more competitive against the other top sides and not just against us.

4 Likes

You accused me on another thread that i was putting out hundreds of pages of links on threads. It was only on one time during the 3 days of the ESL situation, as the news was changing by the hour.

I am not the only one has posted links frequently and I don’t do it on a daily basis on every single thread. There are others who post far more on threads on a daily basis than I do. You can count my posts.

In my view, I think your tone is aggressive and you talk down to posters like me, I am not an encyclopaedia of LFC and every single football subject. If I ask a simple question, I get made fun of by a few on here. If people get things wrong, there is a way of saying they are wrong or disagreeing with them, there is no need to answer in a rude way.

3 Likes

@moderators

1 Like

Not a mod here but (talking as my exp of being a mod in other groups)… If the differences are taken care here… No point getting them in the mx.

Not calling for a ban or anything, but just a word in the ear to move anything further along these lines to private messages. IMO.

4 Likes