Rafael "Rafa" Benítez Maudes

There have been fans who started following liverpool from the roy Evans era etc etc… For those fans , something that what kenny had done is just reading up on it.

Fwiw , rafa has my utmost respect as a human being and as a football manager. I quite frankly haven’t seen kenny dalglish at his peak as a manager or as a player… Yes , I’ve seen some glimpses of him winning with Blackburn but not something he especially did with Liverpool. It is understandable for people who have started following liverpool in the late 90s and noughties to keep rafa on a higher level. Thats what it is right now…

You’ll see growing fans who’ve started following liverpool during the klopp era and won’t have that much info about what came before… Even if you might not agree with their opinion , you’d certainly respect their right to have one.

2 Likes

I hope this will lead to less loathing between the fan bases of the two clubs. But I can’t imagine it will. It seems too ingrained to me, but I am just an observer and don’t live in Liverpool, so don’t have to take abuse in my daily life due to the club I support, so easier for me to say of course.

It would be nice though. I would like to see the friendly rivalry between the two clubs, which I used to hear about and admire when I was growing up, and which imo is far superior to the shit throwing back and forth, which again is kind of just sad and something I will never take take onboard. If you have to hate another fan base to be a supporter, then it is not for me.

2 Likes

I think it’s a very emotional topic at the moment and it’s not at all surprising that, of course, there are also very emotional reactions here. Everyone should really have the opportunity to say whatever he / she is feeling and not be criticized or ridiculed for it. Different people, different reactions.

4 Likes

how Everton fans feel about taking on a successful LFC manager

3 Likes

This isn’t true. He made sure that the club was represented at each one.

Not sure if your reply was meant for my earlier post Maud…
For my post says Rafa will revolutionise the Blueshite (in the coming years), in a similar vein to what Jurgen has done for us (these previous years)…
Not sure how you have made direct comparisons between Jurgen and Rafa at LFC when one clearly has owners with vision, and one suffered at the hands of out and out shysters…
One situation has already come to fruition (Jurgen) and IMO, offered via my prophetic assessment, one is about to follow in a similar vein (Rafa @ EFC)!

1 Like

I don’t think so. Rafa is very much the old model manager - the autocrat, who wants to control everything, and especially signings.

I can’t see him being happy to have Michael Edwards and the Analytics team tell him what he presumes he knows better.

2 Likes

I think Rafa would adapt to the Michael Edwards way of assessing players…
What can’t speak, can’t lie.
As you mentioned, the analytics, in black n white would be presented… would be difficult to argue against hard facts.

I can see both sides. I do think that if he is willing to function under Mike Ashley’s ownership working with Mikey E and his team would seem like nirvana.

I think part of the reason Rafa has had that reputation is he’s been surrounded with decision-makers like Rick Parry, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre and quite understandably has had little respect for their opinion or ability to get a deal over the line.

At the end of the day he wants to work with good players and Edwards has proven his ability to provide that.

9 Likes

I’m not too sure about this, given that he tends to recognise proficiency. If I’m not wrong, he’s worked well with people making signing recommendations, if they aren’t complete idiots. Don’t Napoli operate on that model too?

1 Like

I think Rafa would be open to joining a set up like the one we have now, one that it would be difficult not to respect. What he would have possibly been against would have been having such a set up introduced from scratch.

2 Likes

And if he said “Michael, I need a LW who can score” then he’d damn well be presented with good options.

6 Likes

Rafa Benitternezz :joy:

3 Likes

This is a fair point. I’d like to think that Rafa would be more collegiate under FSG, as there would be pros working around him, and he would adapt, rather than what we saw earlier, which to me just looked like a form of survival, as he was backed into a corner under the cowboys he worked for.

And ultimately, even if Rafa continued in the old school approach, with the healthier budget FSG would have provided, in comparison to H&G taking all the money out, I’m sure Rafa would have taken us to that final step of the title, especially having gone so close without financial backing.

3 Likes

Firstly I’m no Sith, so if your prediction turns out correct I’ll eat my opinions readily.

That out of the way the issue isnt one of owners. It’s one of football having evolved. Rafa’s heyday was 15 years ago. It coincided with Mourinho’s heyday. When both of those were winning in Europe, many of the current generation of players were just kids. 442 was still very common then, 433 was for funky foreigners. Now 442 is a relic of the past. I mean case in point Carlo Ancelotti, another contemporary of Rafa and Mourinho brought in James and others and still couldn’t do shit.

So it’s nothing against Rafa, it’s just footballs moved on. I would be disappointed if Rafa chose to join Everton but I’d hardly be worried. Respectfully I cant see him revolutionizing Everton. If however someone like Bielsa joined Everton I’d be biting my nails then.

2 Likes

I’m not worried absout Rafa joining Everton and them all of a sudden becoming world beaters… that will never happen however it is gonna annoy me that an Everton manager will have a flag on the Kop.

At the very least during his tenure as Everton manager than flag needs to disappear

1 Like

Also there are 19 other clubs in the premier league,

At my estimations there is

Everton
Spurs
Palace

All without a manager and probably within 2-3 months of the season starting you can
Probably add another 2-3 clubs.

If you wanna manage in the PL so badly then wait until the right job comes up - or just go to spurs they would have him I think.

Don’t be all “I wanna manage closer to home” when your last job was in fucking China

2 Likes

I suggest that these two things are in fact related.

6 Likes

I would suggest that when he was offered multi millions to go half way across the world to manage a club who nobody had ever heard of in a Mickey Mouse League “being close to his family” wasn’t really a concern.

I get it, he wants to settle down, but there are 10 PL clubs with 75 miles of Liverpool. Everton should not be an option.

Not even as if he needs the money is it. I get it he just wants to manage but ahhhh not there

3 Likes

Might as well throw in my own 2 cents.

My child was born in 2005 and had I been blessed with a masculine child, one of his middle names would be Rafael.

That is not the case, but it does not diminish from the love I had for the man who restored this club to the level which we aspire to.

He is not Kenny. Nobody is. Jurgen isn’t either. But Rafa is as much a part of the fabric and history of the club as Kenny and always will be no matter who he manages.

If others didn’t hold Rafa in the same regard, well, it doesn’t change how I feel. If he goes to Everton, I hope he does well by their standards and some of his class rubs off on them. I hope he gets a rapturous applause at Anfield before being losing badly.

I think there’s a limit to how much success he can have as it would take something really special to finish in the top 6 at his first try and I’m not sure how many seasons he would get if he finished lower than 8th again. If Ancellotti did so poorly, I’m not sure that Rafa will fare much better.

I however do not understand the efforts to lessen or diminish his managerial achievements, (which most managers could only ever dream of), or some of the other genuinely bizzare and baffling claims that have appeared in this thread.

10 Likes