Ray Kennedy 1951-2021

Another of the players I remember from my youth has passed. So talented when he was with us but his health suffered towards the end of his career. RIP Ray.

6 Likes

Just watched this last year.

1 Like

The night of probably his most famous goal? Right foot strike, being a left footer.

You’ll Never Walk Alone, Ray.

Hopefully a ‘5’ mosaic again on the Kop against Villa.

6 Likes

One of my favourite ever players. I remember when he first joined from Arsenal as a lumbering number 9 not everyone in the fanbase was convinced about him. I was at one of his first games and can remember someone shouting ‘Get that lump of lard off the pitch Paisley’ and everyone laughing. I was just a kid then and all the players were heroes to me. From that moment I really wanted him to do well.

Over the next few years Paisley took that lump of lard and turned him into one of the finest left sided midfielders the club ever had. He lost a fair bit of timber and became a graceful player. Lovely languid quality to his passing and a wand of a left foot. He scored some of our most famous goals, including one with his swinger against St Etienne. After he left Liverpool his form nose-dived very quickly. He didn’t realise it at the time but it was the early signs of Parkinson’s. There’s a really good book about his career and early struggles with the illness called ‘Ray of Hope’. Might be out of print now but worth a read if you ever come across it.

A very sad day. I hope he gets the tribute he deserves at the next home game.

15 Likes

Not another one , another favourite gone…YNWA …Ray Kennedy.

2 Likes

Was just before my time, so sadly don’t remember him, but have heard the stories and seen the highlights.

Thoughts and prayers go to his family. RIP Ray

2 Likes

RIP Ray…

YNWA

1 Like

Terrible news. A club legend in every sense of the word who sadly spent half his life battling Parkinson’s.

RIP.

2 Likes

Bleams ago…when I was nipper…the ‘in thing’ to have at Anfield was a really long scarf with the team names on…mine started with Clememce…and down the scarf was Kennedy…the names bring back so many memories…travelling down the East Lancs with scarves flapping out the car windows…suppose its not the done thing now…so both Ray’s…YNWA.

2 Likes

He played before my time, but only ever heard or read good things.

RIP

2 Likes

RIP Ray, a club legend.

3 Likes

I had a discussion on Saturday night with a pal when he asked if I though the present team was the best ever…my response was no chance and definitely not till they emulate the side from the 70s and 80s…

When they can boast of achievements like Ray’s they might be close.

During an eight-year spell at Anfield, where he scored 72 goals in 393 appearances, Kennedy won five league titles and three European Cups.

They have a very long way to go yet before they can match that…

The day he signed for us was the same day that Shanks resigned… .

3 Likes

A great forward at Arsenal, a great midfielder at Anfield. Sad news. RIP Ray.

1 Like

RIP Ray

YNWA

One of the 1st players I fell in love with. A great!

2 Likes

R.I.P Ray Kennedy

RIP Ray Kennedy.

2 Likes

A great player and a real gentleman.

A lovely trip down memory lane here in pictures ; Ray Kennedy: a life in pictures | Football | The Guardian

3 Likes

Ray was one of my favourites from those great sides of the 70’s and 80’s. What a midfield that was - Ray, Jimmy Case, Souness and Terry Mac, nobody, fucking nobody, took liberties with them.
A majestic player, really sad he had to live so long with Parkinson’s. Remember reading that with hindsight Ray thought the symptoms might have first appeared in his early 20’s.
RIP Ray, another of the greats gone.

7 Likes