Religion in all its Forms

I called it out by saying he sounded like a Chelsea fan. Not offended, just feel Liverpool fans are better than that…and certainly funnier.

The response of ‘it’s ok I’m religious’ was an interesting one. As if the religions are always on the same side!

1 Like

Seems to work for using a certain word beginning with “N” by black people?

The joke was made by a Christian not a Muslim. The joke, such as it was one, was nothing more than saying “those people are different to us…har har har”. The issue is far less about joking about religion, but otherising people.

Depends on the manner in which one otherises. Laughing and joking at people is one thing but making a rational and factual comment about a group of people is another. Far better than society’s endless drive to homogenise and similarise everybody. I thought we had to embrace diversity, not stamp it out?

A mere technicality. To otherise is not by definition a bad thing

Yes, by respecting things that are important to other cultures/religions, even if they seem silly to us

1 Like

Whoa there, I don’t respect any fucker who throws gay people of buildings, mutilates the genitals of children and stones women. You might.

2 Likes

Millions of people celebrate Ramadan and do none of these things.

2 Likes

Just like millions of Christians don’t kill gay men. That wasn’t the point I made. We should never respect things that are important to other people if they are at odds with wellbeing. Like, you know, murder.

And in two steps we’ve gone from refusing to see the issue with a shit otherizing joke about “those people not eating our food” to “well, they are murders and rapists”

Of course you dont see the problem with otherizing people.

5 Likes

Is there a ‘stating the obvious’ reward on TAN?

1 Like

You’re welcome to sponsor it?

Actually, best you could do to get yourself out of the huge hole you dug?

You can’t get away with that, two separate conversations. There wasn’t even a joke there so you’re wrong on 3 counts.

The conversation was about respecting Ramadan (or not) and you diverged into rapists and murderers

Look at the tread title. Just admit that we shouldn’t respect the views of other people if their views are fucking abhorrent. Or don’t, I care not one jot nor tittle…

Just to be sure of exactly what we’re talking about.

Frustrated Ryan Gosling GIF

2 Likes

Again, best you can do?

I was the one who made the bad joke, so I am happy to engage in the aftermath.

First off, apologies to anyone offended.

I made the comment in light of someone asking if there was a water break. I thought it had been commented on quite a lot in the media. In light of Ramadan there was a break. We saw it in the game the day before, and several Muslim players took on gels to replenish nutrients, while others took the opportunity to have a drink, and/or receive some tactical instruction in the quick break.

I was surprised it wasn’t as widely known as I thought it was, so when someone asked what was going on I made the joke about taking a break for a bacon butty.

Again, bad joke, and apologies for any offense cause.

Beyond that, WeeJoe quipped I sounded like a Chelsea fan. I decided to not take offense at that. They are a horrible bunch, not all, but rather too many, and have form for being racist. I made the bad joke, so I took the comment from a fellow red on the chin.

Then later in the thread, someone else (I can easily go back and find out who) made another joke, which was a lot more serious than mine. He name checked Allah (which is more insulting to Muslims) and joked about miracles and our team’s predicament this season.

I questioned on the board what the rules for engagement are, as I had been censured by several fellow posters on here for my gag (bad joke) but another gag, worse for the reasons I just stated, went unchecked by the group. There was no consistency.

Bacon butty, not on. Name checking Allah, and joking about miracles, no problem.

One final thought while I’m taking the time to give my perspective.

In the same thread, at least one person was blasphemous, from a Christian perspective, saying Jesus, or Jesus Christ and using his name as a swear word.

Again, no comment from the group. It was all reserved for the bacon butty quip.

Final word:

Shite joke on my part. No two ways about it.

And sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.

3 Likes

I think that the moon is particularly spectacular tonight!

2 Likes

To be honest, moon worshippers make a lot more sense to me than most religions.

:new_moon::waxing_crescent_moon::first_quarter_moon::waxing_gibbous_moon::full_moon::waning_gibbous_moon::last_quarter_moon::waning_crescent_moon::new_moon:

4 Likes