Rhys WILLIAMS: 2021/22

Has he qualified for PL and CL medals?

Surprised we havenā€™t offered him out on loan.

Is there a domestic transfer window again where it would be possible to loan him to the Championship?

Donā€™t think he would want to leave now.

We need a partner for Billy in u23ā€™s now that VDB has gone to Preston.

2 Likes

Yeah that makes sense forgot about SVB leaving

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit surprising he hasnā€™t gone to Preston instead of Sepp, given thatā€™s where heā€™s from and Iā€™m sure theyā€™d rather have him instead. Maybe Klopp and co said no.

2 Likes

Kept as insurance policy? With this season the way it is it would be just our luck for Kabak to pick up an injury whilst Fabinho is on quarantine after the Brazil qualifiers leaving Davies and Phillips with only Henderson as another option (assuming Matip is out long term).

Klopp has said all along he wanted to send VDB out on loan to gain experience.

Thatā€™s what I would say.

I know heā€™s played poorly recently and everyone thinks heā€™s shite now but for the u23s you can still clearly see the difference between him and the others. Sepp has done okay but I canā€™t imagine Preston actually wanted him over Williams, and Koumetio is just terrible.

1 Like

Personally, I donā€™t think heā€™s a bad player for his age but heā€™s been thrust into spotlight, did well in CL and against Tottenham when the team was a bit more stable than in recent weeks and then got done by pace and poor reactions in FA Cup. I thought heā€™d stay until the end of the season but I hope U23s get to play regularly and that heā€™ll play every U23 match he can. He was non-League this time last year, a few months of U23 football at his parent club should sort him out for the loan move heā€™ll get this summer. Just let him get his self-confidence back on track, improve the basics and see what happens.

2 Likes

Yeah heā€™s not the first defender to get done on the break by a quick forward is he?

Phillips will be off next summer on a free anyway, perhaps we didnā€™t want to rush with Rhys and send him anywhere. Sepp has got more work and proving to do. Rhys wonā€™t die if he stays here and doesnā€™t play much. Though people get ahead of themselves with Kabak/Davies, we still have no idea how that will look like. So itā€™s good to still have a few of the lads who played there this season. Next summer, find him a proper quality loan move. Iā€™m under no illusions what that level might be, but to go from the Conference, to playing, what, 15 games for Liverpoolā€¦ the normal situation would be to continue that path on a better loan than last time.

2 Likes

Rhys Williams has played 12 games and apart from his lack of speed, he didnā€™t look too much out of depth. If they arenā€™t playing with a high-line too, he can be a good depth/squad player for mid-level PL team or a top level Championship team.

How is Brightonā€™s finances these days???

1 Like

Played pretty well tonight.

I find it quite disappointing the way our fans speak about Rhys. Apart from a 2/3 game run heā€™s been fairly decent when called upon.

A coupe of moments where his lack of pace was exposed but also a few moments where he was left 1v1 and dealt with it well. Good in the air and on the ball too.

Well done kid.

5 Likes

For a kid, he has done excellent this season.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a young footballer this slow, he did ok but made lots of mistakes luckily Alisson was on top form.

2 Likes

Me to and that they keep going on about his pace which is nonsense he kept up with that Tella chap when facing the same direction. For me his problem is agility which isnā€™t the same problem at all and in 2 years time could be solved particularly if he gets more experience so better at anticipating.

Heā€™s quick on my FM19 save. Maybe real life is lying?

2 Likes

Slow at everything in the game reactions, pace awareness just really poor, god help us if him and Phillips play against utd.

1 Like

Yeah really got hope Kabak is minor for once.