RIP Gerard Houllier

RIP Gérard lovely bloke.

2 Likes

Oh my God, just saw this… how sad, he was a truly likeable character throughout. We’ve lost a true Red here. 73 is a young age to pass away…

RIP Ged, and thanks so much for everything you did for the club in difficult circumstances.

For those who can read French, this is an article about him in L’Equipe:

In the end, the attack he endured while with us got the better of him… :cry:

11 Likes

RIP Gerard Houllier. Started following football only after his time with us as manager, but heard enough about him to know he was a really likeable person.

6 Likes

RIP Gerard :pray:

1 Like

Worth a read (and for anyone else who missed his time here), to understand his legacy at the club:

13 Likes

A true gentleman and a true Red. Often vilified by the jingoistic British press and way ahead of his time in many respects.

Repose en paix, Gérard.

11 Likes

Such sad, sad news. I will always remember the treble he gave us. He also revolutionised Liverpool in the way the players trained and improved dietary regime of players.

He was a wonderful human being and he really loved LFC. Another legend gone, but not forgotten.

RIP Gerarrd Houllier.

12 Likes

Excellent read. Thanks.

4 Likes

Rest In Peace

2 Likes

Huge loss. My condolences to his close family and friends.

His contribution to Liverpool should not be forgotten. He oversaw the much needed modernisation that was probably needed years beforehand.

2 Likes

He made 2001 an incredible year in our history and for that we should be eternally thankful.
RIP Gerard.YNWA.

5 Likes

Gerard gave us an unforgettable season in 2000-2001. He also made us a competitive and tough team to beat generally, which count a lot in elite club football. My favourite Frenchman - period. Rest in peace, monsieur.

3 Likes

Bon Voyage Gérard :cry:

8 Likes

Rest in Peace. Gave us cause to celebrate and some great memories.
Most of all he seemed to be a genuinely nice man.

5 Likes

RIP Gerard.
You worked hard here and for that you are appreciated.

3 Likes
7 Likes

So many fantastic memories, he paved the way for the modern era for us. 2001 was phenomenal.
RIP Gerard Houllier en merci beaucoup.

5 Likes

Thanks for some truly wonderful nights.

RIP, Gérard.

YNWA.

3 Likes

The man who reignited this club at a time we’d been on the outside looking in on things like winning trophies and the Champions League.

Was always going to be tough being the first that wasn’t part of that bootroom philosophy and it really felt like the first step away from the old Liverpool way that had ceased working anymore and a leap into the modern game for us.

Did great things here and gave us some days and nights we’ll never forget.

I met him once in Berlin. I was on a stag do and he was there to watch the German cup final. Despite four pissed up Liverpool fans accosting him in the street he couldn’t have been nicer and was happy to shake hands and pose for a couple of pictures. I can imagine many wouldn’t have given our state.

Rest in peace Gerard and thank you for everything.

13 Likes

Just read that in his last football role, Houillier was acting as an adviser for the Red Bull clubs. That would go a long way to understand how such a friendly atmosphere came up between LFC and Red Bull lately, with some key transfers enabled (although they haven’t worked out well so far for us, truth be said).

5 Likes