RIP Gerard Houllier

A part of my childhood dead. RIP GH

1 Like

Rest in peace Gerard, a true great of the game, and a gent.

3 Likes

RIP, Houllier.

1 Like

RIP Ged.

I was at the game when he had heart attack v Leeds.

2 Likes

No, no, no. I can’t believe this. This is the man who led the club when I started supporting them, one of the nicest persons in football ever. I can’t believe he’s gone, even after all the health problems he’s had. Rest in peace, Gerard, may God take you into Heaven.

11 Likes

RIP, sir. A wonderful mind and heart. You’ll always be part of us.

5 Likes

He took over as I started to take a real interest. RIP sir, thanks for for the fabulous memories :slight_smile:

1 Like

Devastated. Can’t say much more right now. RIP.

4 Likes

A very sad day for Liverpool FC. A real likeable gentleman. RIP Gerard

4 Likes

5 cups in one season. A gentleman. A well respected person in the football world. Football lost a leading light and we lost a manager who truly loved our club and brought us one of the best memories in recent decades. Rest In Peace and YNWA.

5 Likes

The first manager for me when I started watching the reds regularly as a kid. Still remember where I was for all his finals, and I still remember his return against Roma, for Gary Mac’s late winner at Goodison or Murphy at OT. So many good memories from that era.

I also remember seeing the official Liverpool magazine in the ASDA about 2002 when I was a kid with the title ‘Hou’s leaving? Not me’. I can still feel the pang of sickness in my stomach when I first misread that title. Even as a kid I knew his importance at the time. He did a fantastic job for his first few years at the club, it’s a shame the thing that slowed him down was a massive heart attack.

He loved his football and definitely loved the club. RIP Gérard.

15 Likes

Jamie Carragher, speaking to Sky Sports as reported by the BBC:

"He was a great man, I think that’s why you can see the reaction today all over social media.

"It wasn’t just as a manager and the job he did, not just for Liverpool, at other clubs, the influence he had on what the French did at the 1998 World Cup.

"But what he did for me, Stevie [Gerrard], Michael Owen, Danny Murphy, when he first came in.

“I don’t think I or any of those lads or anyone else involved at the club would ever forget what he did for us and he just meant so much to us all. You’re like a sponge for information at that age, you really look up to your manager, and just that spell that he had, I just absolutely adore that man.”

:cry:

Phil Thompson has tweeted as well

13 Likes

Have just seen this. What terrible news. Absolutely heartbroken.

He was the manager we desperately needed and he did so much to drag us into the modern era.

5 Likes

Really stunned by this, he was the first manager of Liverpool who I witnessed success under as I’m too young to remember the glory days of the 70s and 80s.

He really did bring the club into the modern era and I do feel without his heart attack he would have lifted more trophies.

The first to get us back to the biggest competition in Europe and I cannot forget the 2001 season.

8 Likes

I am still so shocked that Gerard has gone, 73 years is not that old, I didn’t know he was ill. So many wonderful tributes are pouring in, especially from our respective rivals.

2 Likes

He just took on a new role in November so possibly a sudden death…

1 Like

Just really saddened by this. The 2000/01 season was both crazy and wonderful. Had it not been for his health problems back then I am sure he would have won the league title with us in the following season.

He always came across as a thoroughly decent man. It’s ironic that we should have drawn Leipzig in the European Cup today. Those matches will be an opportunity for us all to remember him.

5 Likes

Very saddened to hear this. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Gerard Houllier was a gentleman of the game. He started the modernisation of our club, made a significant contribution to our trophy winning history, and took the club into the Champions League era.

I was fortunate enough to be still going to the match very regularly during his tenure, and will never forget those finals in 2001.

In fact, given the time of year, I remember attending a wonderful victory over Arsenal at Anfield just before Xmas 2000, with Gerrard, Owen and Fowler amongst the goals. A lunchtime kick off followed by a fantastic drinking session around Liverpool, and a huge hangover the next day (which was Xmas Eve 2000).

That period, around the turn of the century, was a very happy period of my life in all aspects, and LFC being amongst the trophies was the perfect backdrop to the period for me.

God bless you Gerard, thanks for your service to LFC (and football generally), thanks for the memories, and thanks for the happiness you gave us all.

You’ll always be a LFC legend.

Rest in peace.

7 Likes

Dreadfully sad news, I’m very down after hearing this news.
He made us relevant again. A huge loss to the football world and to the LFC family.
RIP.

5 Likes
7 Likes