RIP Gerard Houllier

:pensive:

A real gentleman.

My grandad was his best man, that was the link that brought Igor Biscan to Liverpool.

Met him and had a short chat with him in autumn of 2014 in Zagreb, at a coaches’ symposium by AEFCA, where he held a lecture.

It was exactly one day after we got knocked out from the CL by Basel at Anfield. Gerard was visibly sad about the state we were in then and also mentioned how he sad he was for Stevie (maybe already knew/felt what was coming, I don’t know).

Someone who did a good job in bringing Liverpool back or closer to the present at the time, also some fantastic trophies, nights, players. My following started in 2000. But from what I know and learned, the club was really stuck in the past during the 90’s. I can’t recall a club at such a level that went for a two-managers system. I don’t know how it can ever work. That was probably the best proof how lost we were.

You’ll Never Walk Alone, Gerard. Merci pour tout.

19 Likes

So sad news.
RIP Gérard :pray:

Y.N.W.A

3 Likes

9 Likes

This is how I feel. If I could have picked whom to meet when it comes to Liverpool-related people, he would have been on my list. I’m so sad, he probably never got the chance to retire and to live out the rest of his years peacefully. I know that a lot of younger people die but 73 is no age, especially in modern times.

11 Likes

Carra:

“I was in touch with him only last month to arrange him coming to Liverpool. Loved that man to bits, he changed me as a person and as a player and got LFC back winning trophies. RIP Boss.”

5 Likes

:cry: :broken_heart:

8 Likes

Gerard was the manager that really kick started our transformation into a modern football club. He’s a top top manager in his time with the club. His vision of what he wanted Liverpool football club to be was shown on the pitch. He got us trophies, brought us back to a respectable position. Unfortunately, he manage the club in a time where Utd and Arsenal were too good, otherwise I am sure we wouldn’t have to wait 30yrs for our first League Title.
Gerard Houllier was part of the revolution for our club that laid the foundation of who we are today.

RIP Gerard Houllier, :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

YNWA

6 Likes

Blimey. This has hit me really hard, and I’m obviously not alone. I was watching some of the wonderful tributes and then noticed tears were rolling down my cheeks whilst I’m sat at my desk. Fuck.

7 Likes

Such sad news. He was a Liverpool Legend, a true Red, and a Gentleman.

So many wonderful tributes have been paid to him, it makes you realise what a massive impact he had upon the club and our players.

Thank you for the memories Gerard. RIP. You’ll Never Walk Alone.

8 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

very sad news,

thank you for everything you did for our club,

RIP Gerard.

2 Likes
2 Likes

RIP, Ged. YNWA

2 Likes

Rest easy Gerard, thanks for everything you did for Liverpool FC

2 Likes

Full article by Phil Thompson on The Guardian.

1 Like

Nice tribute from McNulty on BBC

5 Likes

i started supporting liverpool around 94/95 ish time. all i had seen were false dawns and trophyless seasons while man utd were winning everything in sight.

that 2001 season will always hold a special place in my heart,felt magical at the time.

rip gerard.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Lovely summary here in the (usually jokey) Fiver:

Gérard Houllier never did win the league with his beloved Liverpool. Not technically. But he did win the FA Cup. And the League Cup. And lift Euro Vase after the Greatest European Final Ever. And the Super Cup and Charity Shield. And another League Cup. And he built a team that only required the addition of Xabi Alonso and Luis García, plus moving Jamie Carragher over a bit, there you go son, stand there, to win Big Cup in the [Greatest European Final Ever II]. And without his root-and-branch philosophical rebuild of the club, there’d have been no chance of Rafa going close, of Brenny going closer, of Jürgen going even closer before finally, at long last, [getting there]. Ged, who has [died at the age of 73] after a heart operation, set Liverpool’s title ball rolling in the right direction again, all those years ago. History will mark his contribution. We’re chalking one up for him, put it that way.

Ged’s greatest signing was Sami Hyypia; his most romantic, Jari Litmanen; his cleverest, Gary McAllister. All played their part in that 2000-01 treble season packed with memories. Safe Hands Sander lifting the League Cup with a 1950s-style Tiger-comic cry of “hooray”; Stéphane Henchoz performing octopus tricks on the goalline to set the scene for Michael Owen running away giggling, what was rightfully Arsenal’s tucked under one arm; Robbie Fowler wandering about Dortmund with Euro Vase while dressed as the title character from Gilligan’s Island. Oh, and that McAllister free kick against Everton, to which Ged reacted with a perfect mix of disbelief, delirium and delight, the football-loving little boy sparkling in his eyes once again. Beautiful scenes.

Houllier could well have won the league in 2002 in any case. His team were more than good enough, and full of confidence after the treble-winning season, but their campaign was derailed by the aortic dissection that nearly took him, then aged only 54, way too soon. He was never quite the same force of nature after that huge scare, though that didn’t stop him going on to win a couple of French titles with Lyon, adding to the one he’d secured for PSG back in 1986, the first in the club’s history. Throw in his contribution to the great France teams of 1998 and 2000, developing the likes of Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet, and that’s some body of work to leave behind all right. Merci, gentleman Ged, et adieu.

8 Likes