RIP/YNWA Gerry Marsden

Sadly, Gerry has passed away at the age of 78 after short illness.

You’ll Never Walk Alone. :pensive:

15 Likes

Oh fuck, what a kick in the balls to start 2021 with.

RIP Gerry - You’ll Never Walk Alone.

9 Likes

Synonymous with every single memory of LFC in my lifetime.
RIP Gerry Marsden

7 Likes

Sad news. RIP.

6 Likes

The legend Gerry Marsden, RIP. Terrible start to 2021.

6 Likes

So sorry to hear. He gave the world an anthem it needed.

RIP, sir.

11 Likes

Fuck. I thought that was an emotional song already. I’ll be in bits next time.

7 Likes

The next time YNWA is sung at a packed Anfield will be very moving I think. Whenever that might be.

12 Likes

When we are allowed a full house, there won’t be a dry eye in the stadium or on sofas when we hear ‘the Anthem’…

6 Likes

I can’t listen to it, it’ll set me off.

6 Likes

Very sad news, RIP.

5 Likes

Always sends shivers down my spine when singing it at Anfield.

R.I.P Gerry

5 Likes

I don’t need onions. That’s got me blubbing!

3 Likes

Sad news, RIP Gerry.

1 Like

Watched ‘At The End of a Storm’ just this morning and it’s almost unbelievable what that song means not only to UK fans and fans around the world but also to Klopp himself.

I can’t think any other musician ever had such an impact on a sports club.

Seen some terrible renditions in my time from people you felt had no right to be signing that song. But this version from just before Christmas, albeit for a Johnnie Walker ad, was one of the best of recent times.

Rest in peace Gerry, your song will live on with us forever.

3 Likes

It wasn’t just YNWA alone though. He wrote and sang the Liverpool anthem that Ev fans can sing along to aswell.
https://youtu.be/08083BNaYcA

6 Likes

Rogers and Hammerstein wrote the song but Gerry and his pals made it immortal. No other sporting anthem comes even close to it. When they hear that song, everyone thinks of Liverpool FC, even if they hate us. All down to a Liverpool band, which is entirely fitting. Rest in peace, Gerry Marsden. As you once sang: YNWA.

5 Likes
6 Likes

YNWA RIP

thoughts are with those closest to him

3 Likes

Sad news indeed. The reason isn’t the most important thing, as he was 78, but does anyone know if covid curtailed his life a little? Don’t mean to be insensitive with the question.

Anyway, not his song, but he put it on the map and provided a great anthem for the club. He was a wonderful ambassador for the city too (well said above with Ferry Cross the Mersey).

YNWA

PS - he also makes me think about home. Same sort of age as my parents, aunts and uncles, who all grew up in a buzzing scene in the 60s.

2 Likes