Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

I wonder who we are really interested in then?

Judging by that video, he certainly seems to have the strength that Bajcetic lacks at the moment. But as others have said, not worth 50 mil right now.

2 Likes

That same club wants 50m+ for Ward Prowse.

I think if we buy Lavia, it won’t be for anywhere close to 50M.

3 Likes

No No @cynicaloldgit, to be fair he is a damn fine player especially at 19 as well. and he is better than our young spanish player (for now)…However the 50 million being touted is another story

His physical much more ready than Bajcetic, like 2-3 years ahead.

1 Like

Wasn’t he the guy who make a bad pass that allow us to score when Soton met us late last season?

Yup. That guy. Gerrard did the same several time tho.

1 Like

Lavia is a fantastic player. Still think Man City made a mistake letting him walk away.

Doubt we would pay 50m for him at this stage but he’s tremendous. A good passer, extremely pass-resistant, closes down like a demon. Can play as a 6 or an 8.

I see him as a complimentary player to Bajcetic, rather than direct competition.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that might be either the best assist he gave to us or the worst audition to joining us.

But coming back to his value, I think if we are really interested, there is no way we are going to pay anything above 30m. With Szoboslai, its a case abit like Nunez, we paid what is asked because the player we decide is to too good to walk away from. But Lavia at 50m is hardly that kind of category, he is not the kind of player at this point, where we say, oh lets pay Soton whatever they want. In short, he is good, just not that good yet for 50m.

He is young, certainly not without talent, but at 50m a swerve for mine, half that yeah,I’d go and pick him up!

1 Like

See, he is already better than several of our midfield, he passes to the Liverpool players. :wink:

3 Likes

I would say the same somewhere around 20m and it’s worth doing a deal, anything above 25m look elsewhere.

Though frankly I think we are anyhow.

1 Like

We sold Williams and Brewster for 20m. 30m still a laughable price. I see that 40m will be fair. Something like 35+ 10 with achievable addon will make sense tho.

We might well have sold Brewster for 20m but we ripped them off.

I’d say the same on Neco to be honest. Force their hand on 30m but anymore I’d walk and to be honest I still don’t think we are actually in for him.

They don’t have to riff him, then the price should be higher, right? I don’t know how good is Lavia, but 30m is minimum with that kind of profile. With bidding war between us, Arsenal and Chelsea, its make sense for Soto to ask 50m. Then I think something like 35+10 addon will be acceptable.

I think he’ll end up at Chelsea as he’ll probably have more chance of regular first team football there given how many players, particularly midfielders, Chelsea are off loading.

2 Likes

Their priority now is Caicedo, and in Pochestino 4-2-3-1, 2 midfielder is always pair of a holding mid and a destroyer. Enzo is the holding one- play more static and make play. As @Sweeting describe, Lavia is more Enzo than Caicedo.

There are a few things that worry me about this transfer (if it comes off): the first is that he’s probably too young to be a starter and displace Fabinho (assuming that Fabinho is the one who makes way for him, even in the long term), the second is the price tag and the third is that Man City usually don’t let go of such talented young players.

Eye test says that he’s a diamond in the rough (I’ll conveniently skip our final game last season where he was gash), good technical ability and passing, strong in challenges, pretty mobile for a tall player… I’m not sure if he’s any good in the air, that would be a nice bonus.

1 Like

In light of our policy to not get into bidding wars and a couple of big hitters known to be in for him , this one strikes me as unlikely. Plus, he’d have to be exceptional , not merely good , at 19 to warrant that kind of a fee.

2 Likes

We have Bajcetic so rather spend that kind on money on a versatile CB.

3 Likes