Russian War Crimes (Part 1)

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/03/12/has-russia-s-invasion-stalled

I stopped buying that bullshit about Russians as victims a long time ago. If they had anything about them then they wouldn’t have allowed that tyrant to strip away all their freedoms for the past twenty years. They were happy enough to trade in democracy for a Big Mac , so yeah fuck 'em.

3 Likes

And yet we see the same thing the world over. Trump, Brexit etc. All where masses of the population were / are convinced to agree with things that are against their own interest.

5 Likes

The irony being that Trump and Brexit would probably have never happened without the help of Russia , and social media.

It beats the shit out of me how people could be so fucking stupid to not see through it all.

8 Likes

Maybe not. I just simply don’t understand people to be honest.

I try to have some compassion / understanding for them because there are millions that fall for this time and time again.

1 Like

For people to be that susceptible to this nonsense , they have to have those biases in the first place. They are then skilfully exploited but I don’t think we should spend too much time feeling sorry for them.

3 Likes

I came across a now fairly old movie, Sweet Sixteen, and it’s review by Roger Ebert… Though the movie is not at all about war, it describes our fatalistic world where choices are vanishing, and even the ones that are made with the best intentions, lead to the inevitable and predictable outcomes… The Russians cannot escape or peer over the fence that is built around them - can you blame them?

In your opinion.

I can’t comment on Trump but Euroscepticism predates all that by decades.

1 Like

True reguarding euroscepticism but was it ever that strong that without Trump and Russia meddling to have happened?

I’ve only lived in London, so can’t speak for the rest of the UK, but the feeling in London has always been that stronger ties with Europe and the EU is a good thing.

1 Like

If anybody or group is willing to take the step of removing him from power, then clearly the only reason they would take that action is they are either against the war or against the sanctions. In both cases they are making the move to ease the situation.

It would be difficult to imagine he would be removed from power for not being monstrous enough.

1 Like

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. :wink:

2 Likes
5 Likes

But often true. Climate change for example. NHS privatisation etc.

Euroscepticism was largely the preserve of a minority within the country , and an even smaller one within the Conservative Party for decades . It wasn’t until the ERG was given wings by Cameron’s decision to hold a referendum that they were able to marshall enough support to actually make Brexit plausible.

3 Likes

Hence your username. :slightly_smiling_face:

Promising a referendum on European Union membership was a vote winner for a reason.

1 Like

To guarantee Cameron’s survival amongst the Tory right maybe. I don’t remember too many others thinking it was such a great idea at the time.

1 Like

It secured a general election victory.

1 Like

Against Jeremy Corbyn. And with a reduced majority.

2 Likes

It did, twice in fact. And yet how many of those that actually voted Conservative would actually agree 100% with that party’s policies then and down the line?

Not many I guarantee you. I’m sure fisherpeople are happy they voted that way now. For example.