Russian War Crimes (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Russian War Crimes (Part 1) - #10050 by Livvy.

Previous discussions:

10 000 ! My God, have we posted that much ? So there is a limit to threads ?

Oh well.

3 Likes
2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hmm.

Right now:

May 6, 5:00 pm ET

The Ukrainian counteroffensive north and east of Kharkiv city secured further gains in the last 24 hours and may successfully push Russian forces out of artillery range of Kharkiv in the coming days. Ukrainian forces captured several settlements north and east of Kharkiv in the last 24 hours, reducing the ability of Russian forces to threaten Ukraine’s second-largest city. This Ukrainian operation is developing into a successful, broader counteroffensive—as opposed to the more localized counterattacks that Ukrainian forces have conducted throughout the war to secure key terrain and disrupt Russian offensive operations. Ukrainian forces are notably retaking territory along a broad arc around Kharkiv rather than focusing on a narrow thrust, indicating an ability to launch larger-scale offensive operations than we have observed so far in the war (as Ukrainian forces predominantly retook the outskirts of Kyiv following Russian withdrawals rather than in a major counteroffensive). The willingness of Ukrainian forces to concentrate the forces necessary for this scale of offensive operations, rather than deploying these available forces to defenses in eastern Ukraine, additionally indicates the Ukrainian military’s confidence in repelling ongoing Russian operations to encircle Ukrainian forces in the Severodonetsk area. While Ukrainian forces are unlikely to directly threaten Russian ground lines of communication (GLOCs) to Izyum (as they run further to the east of recent Ukrainian advances), Ukrainian forces may be able to relieve Russian pressure on Kharkiv and possibly threaten to make further advances to the Russian border.

ISW cannot confirm initial reports of a Ukrainian Neptune anti-ship missile strike on the Russian frigate Admiral Makarov on May 6. [1] Pentagon Spokesperson John Kirby said the United States cannot confirm the reported strike and added “we’ve been looking at this all day.”[2] ISW will update this assessment with further information as it becomes available.

Key Takeaways

• The Ukrainian counteroffensive along a broad arc north and east of Kharkiv city took further terrain and will likely push Russian forces out of tube artillery range of the city in the coming days. The ability—and willingness—of the Ukrainian military to concentrate the forces in Kharkiv necessary to conduct this operation indicates Ukrainian confidence in repelling ongoing Russian attacks with their existing forces in the region.
  • Russian forces did not make any progress on the Izyum axis.
  • Russian forces likely secured small gains on the outskirts of Severodonetsk in the last 24 hours but are unlikely to successfully surround the town.
  • Russian forces continued assaults on the Azovstal plant, but ISW cannot confirm any specific advances. Likely widespread civilian resistance to the Russian occupation may additionally be disrupting previously announced Russian plans to conduct a Victory Day exhibition in Mariupol.
  • There were no significant changes on the southern axis in the last 24 hours and Russian forces continued to reinforce their forward positions.
  • ISW cannot confirm reports of a Ukrainian anti-ship missile strike on the Admiral Makarov at this time.
2 Likes

Would come in very late, but perhaps still in time ? Doubt it will happen though.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, I think this is only the 2nd thread to get closed due to number of posts - the other one being the Premier League 2021/22 thread.

At least I don’t remember any others

2 Likes
1 Like

It’s worth commenting on these recent ‘fires’ that many of them have the same thick, heavy black smoke (looks highly toxic). The thing being it’s the same type of stuff burning in all these locations, so definitely targetted. i suppose if I had paid greater attention I should have sussed by now what it is that’s burning however it has completely passed me by.

1 Like

I wonder where they intend dropping this nuke to do that to London. The channel isn’t deep enough so at a guess somewhere in the Atlantic ocean to the west of Ireland?
Which means there waves are traveling in the wrong direction. :wink: :partying_face:
Oh! forgot to add Scotland will survive the tsunami and with a nice brisk cold north easterly the fall out as well. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah, in less than 100 days.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Edit

1 Like
2 Likes