Science and Technology

Mine was definitely just an issue with settings, although watching football without commentary is not always a bad thing!

Certainly its good in the US to be able to watch an event without a focus on human interest stories over commentary relevant to the event. But, this is a digression and not on topic for this thread so so will stop my moaning here.

My lack of commentary included the two finals so definitely something not right. Discovery+ seem to think it is a software issue with my Samsung tvā€¦anyway I have cancelled it now as they donā€™t have much else of interestā€¦

It was a bit surreal without the commentary and more of a spectator experience with just the crowd noise.

Decided to put this here. Another step forward on fusion energy. A year old though

From the article
"The experiments created burning plasmas that lasted just one trillionth of a second. But Zylstra said that was enough to be considered a success. He said fusion had produced about 10 times as much energy as went into heating the fuel. But it produced less than 10 percent of the total amount of laser energy because the process remains inefficient, Zylstra added"

Itā€™s basically a step forward in creating a self sustaining fusion reaction.

1 Like

@Limiescouse @aurelio at least in my case it does seem to have been resolvedā€¦

Thank you for contacting discovery+ support team and I apologise for the delay.

I understand that you are having issues with commentary on your Samsung TV. I would like to inform you that the issue is now resolved and you can enjoy watching on your Tv with the commentary working perfectly.

You will need to update your D+ App on the Samsung TV and restart your Tv.

1 Like

Beat me to it. Excellent news for ITER. Still 40 years away though.

With this technology, itā€™s always the same: half a century before being completedā€¦ :laughing:

It is. Excellent news for the UK too. Maybe we should, you know, not just give this away? Unlike all the other inventions.

Pretty sure thereā€™s investment from multiple countries in this. As for keeping it for ourselves, ever watched Startrek? The future of our species is in worldwide co-operation.

Think queeny and Meterand (not a clue) opened it according to the article, might just be us and France. They should put Musk in charge of ITER, would be running by 2025.

1 Like

Exciting stuff this. There is a limitless future out there for our descendants , as long as we can steer clear of catastrophic climate crises or nuclear armageddon in the short term.

This was supposed to be an optimistic post.

2 Likes

Dont worry we have Boris and Liz on the case.

Well, we have today. But many thought he wouldnā€™t last a week. Thatā€™s a month ago.

Of courseā€¦but did you read this bit?

Many technical challenges remain, however. In Europe, these challenges are being worked on by the Eurofusion consortium, which comprises some 5,000 science and engineering experts from across the EU, Switzerland and Ukraine.

The UK is a participant, too. Its full involvement in ITER, however, will require first for Britain to ā€œassociateā€ to certain EU science programmes, something that so far has been held up by disagreements over post-Brexit trading arrangements, particularly in relation to Northern Ireland.

Perfidious Europe :stuck_out_tongue:

Whoā€™d have thought that the EU might actually miss us.

This is an amazing piece - Facebook paid a Republican aligned consultancy company to run smear campaigns against TikTok.

I donā€™t think anyone is surprised at the coordinated smear campaign, but given the role Facebook has been alleged to have played in our domestic politics to have leaned an such a politically focused is just awful optics to the point of it demonstrating that they just dont give a fuck.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/30/facebook-tiktok-targeted-victory/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3672fed%2F624482783e6ed13ade469cb3%2F596c70bb9bbc0f20865d3219%2F10%2F72%2F624482783e6ed13ade469cb3

1 Like
1 Like

Peopleā€™s genetic building blocks are 99% stupidity

Get your laughing gear around this mind fuck

1 Like