Science and Technology

A thread to discuss stuffs like smartphones, laptops, apps, OS and whatever.

Neanderthals like myself will seek the guidance from the Venerable and Enlighted ones.

Okay, I will go first.

I want to create a blog/website. It will be mostly photos (birds) with little bit of descriptions. Do I create a blog or a website? I have a blog in BlogSpot, if I create this (bird) one as blog too, should I go with BlogSpot or WordPress???

2 Likes

Not that I use it but are you on instagram? Also, why do you want a website? Once upon a time all businesses had to have a website, now almost all of our enquiries come in via facebook/twitter/insta.

1 Like

Just post in the nature thraed on here, you’ll get loads of likes from @Maria like that. :wink:
Sorry can’t help you I’m at least as much a Neanderthal as you on such matters.
I love hardware talk and software updates will surely come here when some video cards get onto the market and I finally decide to upgrade my dinosaure of a desk top computer into the modern era.

I have 1200-1500 photos of nearly 200 species. In Facebook you can’t jump to a specific species or as such. It’s really amazing how many bird species still live in Dhaka city, so I really want these photos to be enjoyed.

Well, I’m actually hoping @ISMF1 to pop-up with some tips. :blush:

2 Likes

You’ll have his attention with that @ thingy. :muscle:t2: :+1:t2: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think a lot is directed by what you want your website to do

For example is your aim simply to share your love of birds ? Or will you charge people, have adverts ?
Will it be public or member based ?
Will you be uploading 3 meg photos, 10 meg photos, or Raw format ?
Do you want other people to be able to upload or comment ?
How do you want to organise birds or be able to search ? Location ? colour? A tag of key words ?
Is it a free hobby or something your happy spending say 50 bucks or 250 bucks on ?
Do you want to customise so it’s unique in way it looks and feels. Or do you prefer ease of use ?

Think about what is essential for you. If you go down one option data storage might be really important to you. Another option the software to search and categorise. Or it might be having easy way for people to discuss the photos.

What I did when I moved us from TIA is I used a website like this

https://www.000webhost.com

It’s free and they have various software options that you can experiment with.

I created a dozen different versions of TAN with different forum software to help settle on discourse. The other guys then criticised them and ranked them.

You can create a Wordpress website in 15 minutes. It’s kinda like click and install interface.

2 Likes

[quote=“ISMF1, post:6, topic:1751”]
For example is your aim simply to share your love of birds ? Or will you charge people, have adverts ? [/quote]

Just want to share the photos.

Will it be public or member based ? [/quote]

Public, definitely.

Will you be uploading 3 meg photos, 10 meg photos, or Raw format ? [/quote]

??? Undecided. I guess the photos will be pretty big since they taken with professional camera.

Do you want other people to be able to upload or comment ? [/quote]

Comment, yes. Upload, nope.

How do you want to organise birds or be able to search ? Location ? colour? A tag of key words ? [/quote]

I want a dropdown menu of species in alphabetical order in the homepage.

Is it a free hobby or something your happy spending say 50 bucks or 250 bucks on ? [/quote]

FREE, definitely :blush:

Ease of use.

Great podcast about North Korean Hacking scams:

There’s a Bangladesh connection too ifti

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, it caused a lot of raucous at that time. Don’t think anyone was punished.

It was an audacious scheme and they nearly got away with a billion dollars. North Korea is like a mafia and much more sophisticated than they seem.

1 Like

Now someone (Russia?) is hacking US fuel supplies

I love this documentary about AlphaGo
https://mobile.twitter.com/demishassabis/status/1369303793515585550

1 Like

What’s the best FREE cloud storage option?

Currently I’m using Google Drive. It’s a bit cumbersome since I use two accounts, 30GB, and I feel I would be needing more space in future.

Not exactly new about Clearview AI. Probably should start a topic on dystopian world that we live in. :scream:

Rather than create a new thread just for Science I’ve amended this thread title from the InfoTech thread to encompass general Science and Technology. Hope that’s ok with everyone.

4 Likes

bill nye GIF

More methods for Big Brother to performance surveillance.

For @RedOverTheWater. Posted here rather than drifting the Religion thread off track again.

We do know how the stars got there.

Our understanding of the universe is pretty solid up to 1x10-32 seconds after the Big Bang. That has come from simply winding Einsteins theory of General Relativity backwards. And we even have some pretty solid ideas of what happened before that time - Cosmic Inflation.

Stars etc. are all perfectly predicted by simply viewing and understanding the Cosmic Microwave Background. The minuscule differences in temperature as the universe became opaque relate to very small differences in density from which gravity took hold and created all that we see today.

With regard to simplicity, I’d like to think that the universe is fundamentally a very simple place made of a few simple ingredients and laws (theories) that governed how it all comes together. That seems to be the way we’re heading, despite things like String Theory being and complete mind f*** to get your head around.

This a great channel to view by the way

1 Like

Nefarious use of Deepfake technologies. Most banking institutes do not allow transaction by voice mail, it may have to be extended to not allow via voice call?