Science and Technology

2 Likes

Hopefully, It will be good riddance.

1 Like

Couldn’t find a link in English - Story about a journalist, former court reporter, who typed in his own name in Microsofts AI Copilot and it made up a whole eleborate fake story about him being a convicted pedophile, he escaped a mental institution, had illegal weapons and other crimes - complete with google maps to his home adress and phone number. Apparently AI scientists refer to this as the AI having ‘halucinations’.
Of course Microsoft can’t be bothered, because they have no legal liability for any content it produces.

2 Likes

This is a great series about the current landscape with the basic perspective that Tech today feels shit because the top companies are no longer run by engineers with a focus on product, but business people and former McKinsey consultants.

This is a great roundtable on the real state of generative AI

2 Likes

Really? That ought to change, and quick. More and more people will start using AI on a regular basis. That technology having ‘hallucinations’ is unacceptable, and very dangerous.

Sounds like accelerated ‘enshitification’

1 Like

That’s basically the entire theme of the series. But it’s bigger than that when it refers to the entire tech economy rather than a single product or company. He refers to it as a the tech rot economy.

Doubt it. Although I know there are a couple of interesting lawsuits coming related to other uses of AI, e.g. major music labels.
I guess much more important would be people not blindly trusting these chat AI. But then social media has confirmed that a lot of people won’t question anything and will always chose conveniance.

1 Like

Any recommendations on decent free (or cheap) anti-virus software?

I took my computer off the company’s network last week and assumed my free McAfee would do the job. I really dont use it for much, dont visit any dubious sites and have very good hygiene on clicking links, but Im already seeing issues with redirects and freezes so looking for something to do a bit of a clean up and protect it better moving forward

1 Like

Have you just tried Microsoft Defender?

Is that part of Windows or an additional program? Whatever native security windows is running is up to date and has not picked up anything

I don’t think it will run if you have a third party antivirus installed. I personally don’t trust Mcafee. The only time I have had problems with viruses is when that was installed.