Season Comparison - 2022/23 v 2023/24

So, for all the consternation so far this season we are only 2 points worse than last year on head to head games and better by 3 points over 3 years ago and 2 points over 2 years ago (when we won 97 points)? Even with uncontrollable Covid absences, injury crisis, extra congested fixtures and no crowds to encourage us we are still fucking boss.

7 Likes

If it weren’t for the Villa result, we’d be doing better in points, goals scored and goals conceeded than last year.
Yes it happened but good to see we’ve brushed it off as just a freak, out of the usual, result

3 Likes

I think we will see freak games like that periodically throughout the season (although hopefully not that bad, every deflection went lucky for them and ended up in a goal). And we just need to be patient and not over react as fans. We always lose some games just that this season may be bad sometimes. Covid quarantines, injuries, congested season and still no/few fans it’s just so strange. But we are still keeping up admirably with past, successful, seasons and as you said we’d actually be doing better if it weren’t for a freak result.

1 Like

7 Likes

Some green shoots of recovery, at last.

It’s kind of remarkable that we took a 7-2 spanking and 8 games later we’re back to positive GD over last season.

6 Likes

The 4-0 battering by City last season when our team was on the beach probably covers that one.

3 Likes

Just checked out of curiosity what our GD was like after 11 games last season and it was 16 so if you wasnt comparing corresponding fixtures like we are in the above table and just going on game week comparison we would be -7 GD

3 Likes

10 Likes

Thanks for the table again @FowlersLeftPeg. Just noticed though that you have got one goal too few in the GF column after the Spurs game.
So our GD is not -1 but 0.

2 Likes

Good spot, changed it

2 Likes

@FowlersLeftPeg Got a green pen for Christmas :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Goal difference taken care of, but unfortunately we will have to wait for quite a few more games to recover those 6 points.

2 Likes

Arsenal and West Brom fixtures look like good possibilities. But in reality I think we will finish on fair few less points than last year. Just as long as they are enough to win this fucked up season with it’s unusual challenges though I’m perfectly fine with that.

13 Likes

So if we win absolutely everything we can close our points gap to last year in game 34đŸ€Ș?

We didn’t have a terrible season did we?

Suspect 90 points wins the title going away this year though.

2 Likes

I think 80-85 personally?

3 Likes

That sounds about right - doesn’t feel like any team is going to be able to really stay fit and focused with all the weirdness of their year.

2 Likes

I think we stand a real good chance simply by being consistent. I think everyone else will have up and down form. Periods of champions level form (perhaps even better than how well we are doing at the time) but immediately after or before runs of mid table form. Think there maybe as many as 5 or 6 teams on more than 70 points but as long as we scrape 80 or more I think it’s ours.

1 Like

We have dropped 11 points so far. Four of those were blatantly stolen through biased decisions and another three were a total aberration in the Villa game.

We have 24 games left, so another 72 points available. Where exactly are we going to drop a further twenty-odd points unless the officials shaft us repeatedly?

5 Likes