Season Comparison - 2022/23 v 2023/24

Don’t tell Pep… :grimacing:

2 Likes

In any other season a draw with Everton and utd and a loss to a table topping team like City wouldn’t be out of the ordinary, this year its the draws and losses to the bottom teams that are doing us in,inconsistencies that we haven’t seen since VVD joined us 3years ago.Hopefully when he returns they can be ironed out but that’ll be next season.

Had some thoughts today about this season vs. last season. Didn’t think of posting them on the forum but then I saw this thread and couldn’t resist.

It’s still my birthday (2/9, or 9/2 as you’d say in the UK) — I’m 29 on 2/9. Last year when my Red supporting friend texted me happy birthday, I said I hoped 28 was the end of 30. The only reason I didn’t say that I looked forward to 28 being the end of 30 is that I am a cynic/worrywart/etc. who firmly believes it ain’t over until it’s over. I never would have thought that my caution would be needed, but there were three solid months where I was convinced it wasn’t going to happen. During that time I would have taken us getting the title however we could — and, quite frankly, winning it mathematically on the pitch was beyond what I thought possible. Even after we clinched the title, I was kind of in a state of disbelief until we got the trophy — despite the fact that we had won 27 of 29 before lockdown. It just didn’t ever feel like it was going to happen (even in the season when it did feel like it was going to happen)!

A lot of things are shit for us right now, in a football sense. It’s shit that we have so many injuries; it’s shit that VAR and incompetent referees have jobbed us; it’s shit that we haven’t had a proper trophy parade from last year; it’s shit that we can’t catch a break. Moreover, I wanted us to keep rolling this year and do as best we could to start a dynasty. That said, if you told me late March that we would win the title on the pitch, I’d have snapped your hand off.

Thinking back on all of this today, I spent some time watching back the trophy lift and games from last year. It was a pretty shit year for most (if not all) of us outside of football, but at least we had some good things on the pitch to celebrate. And in a time where there’s not much to celebrate, we shouldn’t (myself included) lose track of that.

2 Likes

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Kids :crazy_face:

Happy Birthday :partying_face:

1 Like

It’s the yellow pus that is destroying us. This thread was always going to be a challenge this year. Next year will be awesome.

2 Likes

So we have lost six consecutive games at Anfield. What’s the timeframe of previous six losses? Just curious.

Soon it will be 6 games since this thread was updated.
The Bifa is going to look a bit bare this season.

1 Like

Here you go, apologies. I’ve had a serious lack of motivation to keep on top of this, I wonder why

7 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much red outside sporting occassions like rugby and football.

1 Like

34 points down. City are walking the league this year but would still be 12 points behind us last season. I know we are doing bad but last year we were doing unrealistically incredible and comparing now to then is going to make it even worse!

2 Likes

Not to sound ungrateful for your excellent work @FowlersLeftPeg of course!!! Just think we’ll all appreciate your fantastic efforts a lot more next season! :rofl:

3 Likes

Do we throw in the towel after the United game?

1. Rest Robertson for at least two of the remaining games and sub him in the other two.
  2. Play whoever; Nat, Kabak, Rhys, and Ben, is available in CB.
  3. Alternate Fabinho and Wijnaldum in DM.
  4. Give Neco some minutes; starts or sub.
  5. Keep Salah, so he may win the Golden Boot.
  6. Rotate Firmino, Mane, and Jota as much possible.
  7. Give Curtis, AOC, Shaqiri, and Naby as much mins possible.

Most of these players will be off to pretty grueling NT campaign and the NT managers don’t give much shit about our players. So we give them as much break possible.

1 Like

We don’t throw in the towel till it’s mathematically over!

2 Likes

Hmm. What’s the use in sending out the same lot and ending up with the same disappointment!

As long as we send the others to win the game it’s fine, not because this is a write off is what my view was.

2 Likes

I’m working out we gain 5 points on this.

Plenty to improve on next season anyhow.

Anticipate enjoying this thread a lot more next year than I did this year.

3 Likes

Is this right? Quite remarkable, if true.

1 Like

No, it is not. Man City for example. Champions in 2018/2019 and next season /2019/2020/ finished second…