Social Media discussion

It’s an all-time great skit :rofl:

I don’t really use Twitter. As I think I’ve mentioned before I use it to communicate with my ISP as they’re useless with every other attempt to get hold of them and to follow what’s happening in Ukraine and recently to follow the US election. That’s it. My feed was clean and basically consisted of those things and a few space a few fishing related things, a Liverpool related post popping in every now and then and some really pleasant photo shoots of attractive celebrities (nothing sleazy).

Recently however, I’ve been getting right wing MAGA stuff, Elon apologists, the fucker Elon himself, this morning I got his big fucking scoop being the ‘Twitter Files’ about Hunter Biden and generally mad conspiracy stuff. Other accounts I follow have tweeted the same, has anyone else on here noted the same?

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to stay off it, but just had a look and my feed has been switched from chronological to the one where it suggests thing you might like. I have switched it back.

Yes. Like you I had a carefully cultivated feed and recently I have been noticing there is a lot of other stuff that has been pushed into my feed, and Im seeing a LOT less from the people Im supposed to be following despite them still being active

3 Likes

Scrapped twitter when the cunt took over, and honestly, it is the best thing I’ve done.

If you really want to make a difference, I suggest cancelling your account, as it is the best way to ensure musk loses. The more people that cancel and leave, the more advertisors will ditch it and he will lose that advertising dosh and it will make his purchase look even more insane and ridiculous

2 Likes

Me too.

I’ve noticed several of those I follow starting to complain of being shadowbanned or something where they are trying to post something and their feeds disappear for a time? This isn’t something that appears to have happened with them before.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

Got a 12 hour suspension from Twitter the other day for “inciting violence” so I reckon Kanye was on his last warning.

Then again maybe my comment was under mitigating circumstances, I mean is saying "I wish Shamima Begum to be left to rot and corrode away in a Syrian prison and one day shot between the eyes by way of a stray bullet and have her decomposed body fed on by scavengers and vultures really that bad?

With an employment base that is largely on work visas, which is a right to work tied to a specific employer and difficult to change.

1 Like

Welcome to the future.

Honestly. Get off Twitter. It’s the best thing you will ever do.

It’s not just that it stokes division. It’s algorithms are specifically designed to make you angry and monetise that anger.

Get rid.

3 Likes

Only if you don’t curate your feed properly. Then it’s fine.

Depends what you choose to use it for Mascot, this perception that it’s all bad and anyone that uses it are fickle minded is fictional.

People are quick to forget the reasons why twitter & other social media platforms were created to begin with.

For example I like to use it for informative purposes, I would never have found out what was going on in countries like Israel, North Korea or Iraq/Syria if it wasn’t for it…there are little to no British reporters on the ground there to broadcast the news to the likes of BBC/ITV & even if there were they’d be no telling whether the execs would allow it to be broadcasted.

For others they see it as an opportunity, an opportunity to draw in a following or perhaps to gain subscribers…which would eventually lead to kickstarting a new business for them which in particular your Youtubes/Instagrams/TikToks have proved very efficiently to do.

You could try Al-Jazeera , France 24 , CNN , I 24 (Israeli) … all are excellent for knowing
what’s going on in the middle-east.

‘there are little to no British reporters on the ground there to broadcast the news’ … that’s just wrong.

2 Likes

Sure I could, I wasn’t saying there aren’t alternatives I was merely stating from my point of view and what’s easily assessible for me. You don’t need a TV License, Wifi a freeview box god knows how many cables to get on your phone and search what’s happening on Twitter.

You say it’s wrong…then prove otherwise? Why do we not see them on the ground reporting the news back to us? And I’m not referring to British people who go there to study the culture or help the people in need…actual reporters.

Off the top of my head ;

John Simpson
Jeremy Bowen
Lyse Doucet
Orla Guerin
Sebastian Usher
Martin Patience
Quentin Somerville

You’ve never seen any of these people ‘on the ground reporting the news’ ?

2 Likes

Rarely log into Twitter.
However, wife bought me a fairly expensive gravel bike a couple of years ago, and it was delivered by Evans cycles…without fucking pedals WTF?

During Covid so they didn’t take phone calls, and they’re website promises to reply to emails within 14 days…again WTF?

Drove to my nearest store, Edinburgh waving my receipt and demanding pedals.
Young lad very helpful, gave me a good pair off the shelf.

Told him I’d used half a tank of fuel to get there and 4 hours out my day, so asked about a complimentary pair of shorts as compensation.
He was really apologetic, and said he couldn’t but would get the manager.

Up rolls the manager in full couldn’t give a fuck mode and point blank refused.
I kept my cool (surprisingly), clocked his name badge and said, ok Graeme, no probs.
Just about to leave and said, oh by the way Graeme, is Evans on Twitter?

Yes he smiled, well fucking stand by for an onslaught, you’re about to become famous, bye now.

A handful of less than complimentary Tweets later, a £90 pair of shorts arrived.

Good old Twitter

To fund the boondoggle, maybe.

In order to.