Social Media discussion

Maybe not the right thread, but it ties in to the conversation, we just finished watching the second season about the NXIVM cult on HBO. The first season was a really interesting insight into how people get taken in to stuff like this. Much like Paul Haggis describes in Going Clear, it’s entry is with promises a method for self-development that people can see helping them in their normal personal and business lives. In lots of cases the bond is formed because of the promise is fulfilled. Haggis describes being a struggling screen writer then finding an industry focused self-help group that taught him how to get out of his own way and write more clearly and more focused scripts. He only later knew that what he had joined was scientology and was a cult, and so it captures you before you understand how. What was fascinating from the second season was just how clearly it presented the leader, Vanguard, as a total hack. Everything he said was pseudointellectual bullshit. It made it a LOT harder to understand how people could have been take in in the first place.

I dont know whether it’s an intellectual limitation that makes people fall for this that they dont know the difference between a really deep thought with real meaning vs superficial nonsense filled with buzzwords (like, what is consciousness, man?), or whether there is some emotional blockage that prevents them doing the hard work of the former and instead find comfort by pretending the do the work of working through these nonsense superficial ideas?

3 Likes

@Sweeting thank you

1 Like

Is it possibly the case that they just roll with it as the real glue for staying within the organisation is the relationships they’ve developed or the structure they feel comfortable in ?

Oh absolutely. But I was thinking more about they get sucked in in the first place that those relationships and the experience in the organization feel valuable in the first place. If its based on the same sort of self help stuff that NXVIM and Scientology is based on, I’d expect it to not be so hacky.

1 Like

Elon showing his caring side…

Heartless wanker.

3 Likes

He is literally making a cry baby show of himself on a daily basis. King snowflake.

He posted a poll asking people if he should stand down from Twitter, and when he lost he said the result was wrong and only blue ticks should vote. It’s proper toddler stuff.

I know you admire his space stuff, but there is no way I’d get in one of his rockets. If you can’t run a social media platform without setting it on fire, you can’t run a space programme.

1 Like

And yet he does, brilliantly. He’s a nob on twitter granted.

Mark my words. At some point, something is going to horrifically wrong on a Space X flight, and it will be traced back to Musk’s autocratic, petulant and bullying control style.

1 Like

NASA had a perfect human safety record and was very cheap to run whilst innovating on a daily basis. Sorry, that’s SpaceX not NASA. Of course something will go wrong, doesn’t take a genius to work that out. But people die everyday, it’s all about risk. Statistically you’re more likely to die on the road on the way to the airport but nobody worries about the taxi, it’s the 550mph plane that creates the nerves.

Who was the first human in space? Wasn’t who you’d think……

Space is dangerous, astronauts know the risks. They’re also smart enough to know that what SpaceX are achieving is verging on miraculous because they’re being driven by a man who thinks big. Just compare Starship to SLS. It’s a canoe that sinks every trip compared to an ocean liner.

But if Starship goes bang, that could be 100 people. They wouldn’t have the opportunity were it not for Musk.

There’s something incredibly pathetic about a man with so much power having such a fragile ego and being such a snowflake.

Musk epitomises that more than anyone else I can think of. I don’t know how any self respecting man could admire another man who is so insecure, petty and vindictive.

4 Likes

I don’t really do twitter. He can say and do what he wants on there, just keep building incredible rockets and I’m happy.

Bullshit. He’s got people running it for him who happen to know what they’re doing while he takes the credit. The best that can be said is that he got them there.

4 Likes

You’re doubling down on a stupid take because of pride. That’s the same as Germans saying Hitler can do what he wants as long as we have jobs again. Fuck sakes.

4 Likes

Are you going to tell me it was someone other than Yuri Gagarin? (Buckles self in)

Wrong. Listen to him interviewed by Tim Dodd, he understands exactly how it all works.

No. Why would what he says on twitter have any relevance to what he’s doing for space exploration? You might care, be my guest.

In other news, a massively successful capitalist is hated on a Liverpool forum. Odd that.

Gagarin was the first who came back…….

1 Like

He’s hated because he’s a cunt. A privileged right wing cunt that benefited from the apartheid regime, at that. You do you if you wish but that isn’t going to change the stench of the man, no matter how much you want to mask it. What he’s saying in Twitter is giving you an insight to who he is but hey, as long as a few rockets go to space then thats fine? Fuck me sideways, have a word with yourself.

2 Likes

Inserted the superb gag you missed.

Nothing funny about him in the slightest.

1 Like