Summer Transfer Window 2021

Not sure of the exact figures. But Barca and Madrid have previously dominated the split of TV money due to them being the 2 key teams for foreign viewing targets so they insisted on getting most of the money.

It would be like if us and Utd had dominated the Sky tv money back in the 90’s when the Premier League started seeing it’s tv revenue grow due to foreign deals

I thought that happened about 3 years ago, I supposed that was the reason why Perez was “saving football”.

Just remembered. There was the deal with the private equity company La Liga was lining up for a substantial investment now for long term share of tv revenues over something like 30-40 years. Barca were reported to be offered something like 250m if they accepted the deal, presumably Real Madrid would have been offered something similar…

I do remember first hearing about it being discussed around that time, but don’t think it got agreed for that tv deal - although could be wrong and missed the deal being agreed

1 Like

Maybe they are flattening them even more, I thought it came in with Lá Liga Tv but I could be wrong.

The other issue is the broadcast rights contracts all over the board are down. It’s possibly a short term trend while people figure out the role of streaming, but if spending projections were based on some continuity of TV money then those have to be adjusted downwards in general, which compounds this more egalitarian structuring of them for La Liga you’re talking about.

2 Likes

I thought there was a $1.4bn deal with ESPN for the next 8 years - at least for the US?

That’s a fair counter. The US market is the second biggest deal for the prem, but was previously pretty small for La liga. This new deal is a massive increase compared ot the last one, something like a 7 fold increase in the annual cost. But I think the growth in the US is an anomaly compared to the broader trends and likely to normalize pretty soon.

1 Like

Anyone heard of him? I just don’t really follow young teams and he’s joined my local team here and is being put as a brilliant talent.

Faustino Anjorin

• Position: AM
  • Nationality: English

An England U19 international, “Tino” Anjorin is considered the closest prospect for a first team role in the Chelsea youth system although a bout of Covid has limited his appearances in pre-season. A six foot tall, muscular forward player, Anjorin’s build is not typical for a technically focused player but does help him handle the pressure of adult football. He has an aesthetically pleasing languid style, which can often be mistaken as laziness, but actually anyone who watches closely will see that he simply saves his energy for individual moments where he injects bursts of pace and power. Having scored thirty-five goals in eighty-three youth team appearances, Anjorin is now set to build upon his solitary Premier League appearance - if Tuchel has the interest in using him.

4 Likes

Love a bit of black pudding, specially on a roll with a fried egg…

4 Likes

Mergim Berisha from RB Salzburg to Fenerbahce for £4.5m.
Franck Ribery about to sign for Salernitana as a free agent on a 1-year deal.

1 Like

How the mighty has fallen. At least doing better than Sturridge.

1 Like

He is also 3 years older though…

Why so hard on these old players? Falcao is 35 and still playing La Liga football, Sturridge is 32 and still trying to get a contract at that level despite horrific injury issues across his career.

I think it’s actually pretty impressive to still be that good at their ages/injury proneness.

1 Like

You are right, it’s actually impressive and praiseworthy that Falcao still has the fitness and passion for the game. Playing for Rayo Vallecano can’t be financially rewarding, so yeah, it’s rather heartwarming.

1 Like

Alberto Brignoli from Empoli to Panathinaikos on loan.
Darko Todorovic from RB Salzburg to Akhmat Grozny on loan.
Derrick Luckassen from PSV to Karagumruk on loan.
Joel Pohjanpalo from Leverkusen to Rizespor on loan.
Paul-Georges Ntep has signed for Boavista as a free agent on a 1+1 contract.

Another blast from the past. The days when we were linked with the likes of Marveaux and Ntep.

:joy:

1 Like

Franck Ribery still going strong at 38 years of age, about to sign for Salernitana (crazy atmosphere, can’t wait for their derby games against Napoli) on a 1-year deal.

:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Caner Erkin from Fenerbahce to Karagumruk on a free.
Youssef Ait Bennasser from Monaco to Adanaspor on a free.
Ahmed Hassan from Olympiacos to Konyaspor on loan.

With Camavinga at Real, I think it slowly signals the end of Pogba potentially going there. Somehow I don’t think PSG will go for him, but there’s always a possibility. Go back to Juve? I think that is most likely at the moment. Especially when Allegri wanted another CM near the end of the window.

1 Like