Takumi Minamino (FW) to Monaco

5 instalments is a tad cheapskate for a team that got 100m just the other week for that midfielder

1 Like

You could see at the outset why Klopp was interested in Minamino. I thought he was going to be an absolute pest in the press and contribute his fair share of goals. But Jotaā€™s signing basically deprived him of any real opportunities to make his mark here. At that point, he was, at best, a fifth choice forward, and he failed to become a difference maker when he was subbed on.

Wishing him nothing but the best going forward, though.

Good business for Liverpool and a good move for Minamino.

Bit sad to see him go, Is Jota the main back up striker now?

Wish him all the best.

Thank you for your service Taki.

YNWA

Even our rare misses in the transfer market turn into decent business.

Honestly believe heā€™d have had a better time here had he not arrived just as Covid was emerging, everyone got locked down and footy ground to a halt.

For a quiet character like him that must have been really difficult. All the best to him though, didnā€™t hit the heights we hoped but contributed nicely to the shiny stuff we won this season.

Taxi for Taki :0)

Top goal scorer in both the the FA Cup and League Cup, both trophies we went on to win.

Sad to see him go, but appears best for him if he wants game time and we receive a higher fee than we paid for him.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not particularly unusual though.

2 Likes

I assume the 100m is also instalments same goes for our Darwin deal and Mane, we are still paying for Thiago as well.

1 Like

So the great forward sale is well underway. Only two left, so get in quick as theyā€™ll be gone next summer:

Mane SOLD
Origi GONE
Minamimo SOLD
Firmino MAKE AN OFFER
Salah PRICE ON APPLICATION

With
Diaz
Nunez
Carvalho
In then it seems likely we will keep Bobby and Mo until next summer but with both not signing new contracts we will need to sign at least one more forward by next summer.

For such a price though no? Even two instalments is okay. 5? How long is his contract even.

The length of his contract is irrelevant. Most likely itā€™s ā‚¬3m now, ā‚¬3m in January, then again next summer etc so it will be paid within a couple of years.

4 Likes

Disappointing end for Taki. Sure heā€™s tried hard and contributed some goals - esp easily rounds of our trophies past season - but he never really belonged. Big annoyance is that when we signed him (for about ā‚¬10m) the deal was lauded as being ā€˜an absolute stealā€™ as, even if there were suspicions whether he may not suit the PL, weā€™d still absolutely clean up (apparently) if we sold him. Now sure we have made a ā€˜profitā€™ on him (perhaps not after wages though) but heā€™s also taken up a squad spot and it looks like weā€™ve made a signing for the wrong reasons. At the time he was playing with Haaland who was also available for 20m (and looked the more obviously talented striker) but Taki was promoted as ā€˜better valueā€™. Hopefully his sale will draw a line under this kind of signing and the club look like they have learnt their lesson to not be seduced by the budget ā€˜valueā€™ option but instead pay whatever quality costs - eg Darwin and Diaz.

Price definitely would play a part but Klopp would never sanction a purchase just because itā€™s cheap enough. His comments on Minamino when we signed him was a reflection of the qualities he saw and what he hoped he would be - ā€˜proper team playerā€™. We had a number of great successes with low money signing so it would be reckless to rule out signings just because they donā€™t cost 30,40mil. Nobody knew how Robertson or Tsimi at the low cost signing or how Diaz or Jota or Fabinho at the higher cost signing would turn out. How Klopp and this club has behaved and operated in the market has made me believe that there is a possibility of turning a player into a great one, regardless they were signed for 8mil or 85mil.

2 Likes

Oh I was thinking like one a year. Nevermind

if it is not for him, we would have ended this season with just a top 4 qualificationā€¦

4 Likes

Of course, players coming into the Prem need to adapt to the increased physciality. And in his early appearances, he was getting pushed off.

But I watched him closely this season in this sub appearances, and that is no longer an issue. He would come on in proper pressing mode, and in the domestic cup games, put himself about physically.

Thatā€™s a weird take. Heā€™s been used (mainly in cups) and done his job exactly as is needed for a experienced squad member to do when coming into the eleven. Those goals last season took us to both domestic finals, along with (yes small, but something) money that comes with gate receipts, competition winnings, etc.

He gets 3.9m a year. Went on loan for 6 months, with 0.5m loan fee, and them paying his wages in full. He was a low risk signing with a low fee and potential.

Having one of those types of players in the squad is absolutely fine. Problem is only if you have too many (think 2012 with Asaidi and Borini). We have a balanced purchse plan of getting in quality singings, experienced signings, young potential, and then once in a while a small gamble (Shaq, Taki).

I donā€™t have a problem with this type of signing, to be honest. With Man City bending the market to their will, both in terms of incoming and outgoing transfers, Liverpool have to be nigh on faultless and take calculated risks. There are not many signings in Kloppā€™s era where the club have taken a hit - Chamberlain will definitely be one, Shaqiri is also one, Wijnaldum left on a free but the latter two had major impact on our trophy hunt, so I canā€™t really look at them as signings where club have taken a financial hit.

After the first Salzburg game, I wrote Minaminoā€™s name in ā€œWho Would You Buy?ā€ thread because I was amazed by his performance (little did I know that I should watch at least ten games of his to form an opinion :slight_smile: ). He and Hwang ran riot that night - full of energy, pressing well, picking up good position, always on the front foot, always with head up, finding teammates with easeā€¦ Itā€™s a shame he wasnā€™t able to carry that over to Liverpool. Unfortunately for him, this side didnā€™t really have a position that could bring the best out of him, which is probably the second striker/central attacking midfielder playing ahead of two midfielders.

Iā€™m a bit sad about his quotes where he speaks about feeling anger and emptiness and how he played only games that people didnā€™t treat as important, though. I donā€™t want people to perceive our club as such place. Maybe it was something that was lost in translation but stillā€¦ I hope he can reignite his career at Monaco, heā€™s still a very energetic and talented player and he leaves our club with a clean sweep of domestic trophies. I could live with that.

3 Likes