TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

A tie between Miss Jones and Hop Lips Houlihan - :thinking:

1 Like

Had she been on the ale?

3 Likes

Of course… Difficult choice that :laughing:

2 Likes

Not much luck (or laugh :wink: ). That’s why I have voted already :stuck_out_tongue: .

Bumpity bump.

Voting will close at 18:00 today. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s the first round complete; only one tie, so apologies to fans of Married With Children but I prefer I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue.

The draw for the last 16, using the same online generator as last time, is as follows:

• Only Fools And Horses
  • Blackadder

0 voters

• Father Ted
  • Red Dwarf

0 voters

• Frasier
  • Dad’s Army

0 voters

• The Goons
  • Monty Python’s Flying Circus

0 voters

• Not The Nine O’clock News
  • MASH

0 voters

• I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue
  • The Young Ones

0 voters

• Cheers
  • Porridge

0 voters

• Fawlty Towers
  • The Office (UK)

0 voters

Some tough ones there; voting will be left open for a week, as usual.

Happy voting!

2 Likes

People voting for Fawlty Towers should watch it again. I really don’t think it stands the test of time. It’s mainly Cleese shouting and the ‘hilarity’ of a Spanish accent.

1 Like

Still better than The Office.

4 Likes

Can’t understand how IT Crowd didn’t make it :grimacing: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I feel similarly about Red Dwarf. Ughh. Loved it 20+ years ago but watching it again…not as great as I remembered it to be. Allo Allo should have trounced it, nevermind.

2 Likes

Allo Allo was brilliant for the first couple of series but then got increasingly silly. Still, far better than Red Dwarf in my opinion; I think that age played a significant part in how people voted in that particular tie as Allo Allo, for whatever reason, isn’t replayed as much as many of the other classic BBC comedies, so if you weren’t there in the 80s you’re less likely to have seen it.

1 Like

Totally disagree. Brent is a far more complex and rounded comic creation than Fawlty. The Office is still hilarious.

4 Likes

Nooooo

“That is Torquay madam, what were you expecting? Herds of wilderbeast?”

FT is a funny show because (As John Cleese has explained) Basil Faulty is a very funny character. He could have been a bus conductor or a teacher or a librarian. Absolutely brilliant program.

2 Likes

Really? Red Dwarf is one of THE best British comedies.

1 Like

Maybe. It’s in the top 50, sure. Not a patch on Allo Allo though.

2 Likes

I’ve been through both series over lockdown. Always had a soft spot for Allo Allo (cough stockings cough) and I love it’s absolutely equal abuse against the Germans and English. But Red Dwarf is a much deeper and ultimately more satisfying comedy. Rimmer on his own (like Baz F) would be funny in any situation.

1 Like

Ted and Ed hands down!

1 Like

Gervais and Merchant

Cheers was OK, Porridge was superb :slight_smile: Neither a patch on Frasier though.

Frasier is coming back!

I agree, the best of that bunch for me.