The Anfield Noise - Users

GIF by Drunk History

cowering bart simpson GIF

That’s pretty niche even for serial killers.

Here’s my two cents, which nobody asked for, but is arriving anyway.

As ismf says. The majority of people leaving appears to be unrelated to anything to do with the site and is more likely personal circumstance. We can hope that these circumstances improve to the point where these posters can return, but that’s beyond anyone’s control.

For those that have left because of problems they’ve encountered on the site, to link it back to your analogy of the pub; there’s a big difference between having swift pint after work, sharing a bottle of wine with an old friend, drinking to excess every weekend etc.

If you look at the threads like different drinks, I know people who can drink 10 pints and be fine but can’t handle spirits. Girls who can drink multiple big glasses of gin, but bring out a tray of shots and suddenly everything gets messy. There are some threads that will almost guarantee extreme opinion and reaction - these are your top shelf threads, Politics and religion are subjects often advised to avoid in social situations if you want to keep things civil, but if those threads don’t exist then the themes of those threads will spill out in other places which can ruin the other threads.

If people can’t handle those threads, like people who can’t handle their drink, it’s perhaps in their best interest to avoid them and stick to something that isn’t going to cause them stress or upset. If people have left because they can’t cope with opposing opinion then it’s perhaps better for them personally that they have left. Rather than have a negative experience every time they visit.

While some people like to pretend they don’t use social media, the truth is, this forum is a form of social media, and like all social media there will be some ‘toxic’ aspects. There are tools to help you avoid these; the ignore function and muting threads. I would advise those who find using the forum to have a negative impact to try and use these more often. If there’s someone that irritates you with everything they say - stick them on ignore. If you can’t open the politics thread without being triggered by political opinion, throw that thread on mute.

I for one won’t be participating in the racism thread anymore, because it’s a waste of time and energy. I have muted the thread so I’m not tempted to ‘just have a quick look’. There’s enough negativity in the world that you can’t control to not remove the negativity that you can control.

Some will say you shouldn’t stifle a debate or live in an echo chamber, but when individuals are so entrenched in an opinion and all discourse ends in insults, then a debate is pointless, so why continue when you could spend your time on more important discussions like are we going to sign Bellingham or Enzo or both?

For the record I’m not telling anyone else what they should or shouldn’t do, this is just how i’m going to try and approach things for my part.

5 Likes

I have a t-shirt. “If you can’t run with the big dogs, stay on the porch”. I also once bought a sign for the Missus “Hold your temper, nobody else wants it”

Granted she hit me with it but then I’ve a thick skull.

:clap: 3 new users joined yesterday :grinning:

I hope it’s a coincidence…

Infantino-in-Qatar

2 Likes

:0)

2 Likes

I for 1 would welcome Gianni to TAN.

He’d be able to share his feelings on a given today and we’d all be able to return the favour…mostly greeted with hostility, contentiousness and profound levels of abuse.

1 Like

That’s what me and my two Nephews call our Whatsapp group. :nerd_face:

Probably what the forum Christmas party was like… back in 1956.!
Anyone still around :0)

1 Like

@norwegian_wood hasn’t been around in recent weeks.

1 Like

Any of our German posters heard from @Neukölln ? Hope you are ok mate… Come on you clarets :wink:

3 Likes

Any of our Woolton based posters heard from @WooltonRed

1 Like

His last post WR said he was taking a break for a little while… mind you, anyone scanning the crowd at Goodison on TV recently will probably catch him starting the Boo’s off…
Hope he is ok though

It’s official, best poster on TAN…as if I didn’t know that already but also the most liked!!!

THE TABLE DOESN’T LIE PEEPS

@SBYM killing you on likes-per-post, though. Clinical.

1 Like

Yeah they all do tbf don’t they? :frowning:

We need one that shows all the Rofl emoji’s as well, I’m sure it’d show me being the funniest also.

Are the merit badges still awarded for 10 likes on a post…! Just wondering
Seems an age since i’ve seen any of them

5 Likes

Someones thirsty for attention.
love me fox GIF by Family Guy

1 Like