The Book Thread

I read a book by Theodore Dreiser once, it was one of the most depressing books I think I’ve ever read…(An American Tragedy?).
I tried reading the first Dark Tower book, struggled to get into it.

1 Like

Yeah, American Tragedy was in my first batch of the year. It was a bit of a slog.

I found the first Dark Tower book okay, but not a lot happened. The second one was much better and I’m definitely invested now and looking forward to the third.

1 Like

Finished Vonnegut’s Player Piano. His first novel. An excellent parody of mid-twentieth century corporate life but a bit slow and disjointed as a read.

Also, reread Faulkner’s Pylon. Love that book.

3 Likes

I dont read as much as I would like to, but have a few trips coming up over the next few weeks so loaded up with the following list

This one is honour of @Magnus

The supposedly definitive take on Q Anon

And finally a book that I am sure I should learn a lot from and will incorporate 0 of into my interactions with (fucking) people

2 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Hope you like it. He is my favorite conservative so to speak. He has integrity and speaks sense, even when you absolutely disagree with him.

The edition I am reading has a really interesting preface with Nichols insisting it really wasnt written in response to Trump, which does put an interesting spin on it when reading it today

1 Like

Tbh I started reading him in 2015 and I actually believe that. Because back then, while warning against Trump, he was also whining a lot (a real lot) about trump being just a symptom for the loss of respect and belief in expertise and he admonished the general public for having strong opinions on matters they had no expert knowledge on, and so on. He is a bit of grumpy con, but he comes across as a very decent man in my opinion.

1 Like

Bored Over It GIF

I’ve started to read a lot more fiction and found delight in the books of PG Wodehouse also enjoying the crime ones of Bryant and May by Christopher Fowler.

2 Likes

Jeeves or something else?

First was actually Bodkins which was ok didn’t really suit me, got mostly into Mulliner and Finally read some Jeeves last week. Really enjoyed Jeeves and Mulliner.

Have the Blandings as well.

Time for my next selection:

In which stage you are now?

4 Likes

Probably at stage 6 at the moment. Usually too tired to find time for books. I used to go through loads when I regularly used public transport.

2 Likes

Not renowned for his post prandial jocundity.

I love a phrase like that.

I have developed the need for reading glasses, but havent got around to getting them yet, so I’m very definitely a 6 even as I continue to buy more books to load up my “read next” list

2 Likes

My eyesight was so bad to begin with that as I’ve aged I can actually read without glasses. However, I do find book reading a strain. Backlit tablets are much easier.

2 Likes

I probably bounce between 4,5, and 8

Haven’t a clue what that means

Anyhow still 3-4

After dinner humour. Jocundity is to joke, prandial is to eat

1 Like