The Book Thread

Yeah that’s a good read.

1 Like

Of Mice and Men is a brilliant book. Memorable characters, interesting themes.

I love 20th century American literature though.

Apart from Gatsby. That shit is dreadful.

It’s odd, despite being an avid reader throughtout my life i dont think i have read classics like catcher in the rye and of mice and men.

Of Mice and Men is a short story basically. It’s touching and sad, but The Grapes of Wrath is far more weighty.

1 Like

Haven’t read Grapes of Wrath either. I guess part of my surprise is that a lot of these titles are on the syllabus at schools - although they rotate (or used to?) so not all are available every year.

Steinbeck is very readable. He spent a lot of time with working people in the Western US and his language reflects that.

Might look to pick that up and have a read over Christmas. Thanks,

Really enjoying this.

Absurb but really enjoyable.

In another slightly less morbid coincidence, I reached chapter 6 of ‘The Door into Summer’ just before midnight, and the first line was:

'I got a job on the second day, Friday, the fifteenth of December.

1 Like

Finished reading The Fund, which is about the hedge fund Bridgewater Capital.

I always knew it was a weird place, but I didn’t know how weird.

Great book.

1 Like

Managed to finish my last lot before the end of 2023 so, have a new selection for 2024.

d0399665-5ef7-4d98-97e1-aa5459279c64

2 Likes

Kurt Vonnegut- my 11th grade English teacher had us pick a book for a report and i didn’t know what i wanted to do, so she suggested Slaughterhouse 5. She was a bit hippie/going to expand my mind type, but wow i wasn’t ready for that lol. I knew nothing of Vonnegut and was into LOTR type fantasy, and i just remember i put it down and carefully backed away so it wouldn’t find its way into my backpack.

Wonder if I’d like any better now lol. Some people love his stuff but i wasn’t one of them at 16.

1 Like

I’m a massive fan of Vonnegut’s stuff. Slaughterhouse 5 was the one that got me into him.

1 Like

Yeah I was just caught completely unaware about what I was about to get into. I wasn’t ready for it at all.

I struggled desperately with SH5. I wanted to like it. I saw things in the themes that made me think I should like it. People whose tastes I tend to have overlap with loved it. But I felt myself turning pages and getting nothing from it.

The LFC Vancouver OSC main organizer has published a book, going to have a read once it arrives.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CVJXPDV7?fbclid=IwAR2l78kTTUTBhGEp-wZBN09f2dX5alj8mm_zBDZ9SvDmnKlbMomh_FPrg50&language=en-CA&ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_F7Y97ZYVCY774NQ5GHVF

2 Likes

Listening to Laurie Lee read ‚As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning‘.
Marvellous stuff.

2 Likes

I finally got into Agatha Christie so I’m devouring a love of her at the moment.

3 Likes

Ive never read any of it, but it was only the other week someone else mentioned to me they were reading it and thought it stands up pretty well

1 Like

Doesn’t surprise me. I think I started reading some Agatha Christie novels when I was about 7 or 8 and remember that I found them to be a fun read. The language isn’t complicated and the story often plays with the reader as they try to figure out who dunnit.

My enjoyment of the books may have also been a result of the Margaret Rutherford movies which I still love to watch.

2 Likes