The British Royal Family

Of course, but it’s not exactly their only duty!

1 Like

True, and sorry for being a bit snarky (sory, @Klopptimist ). I just read what Maria posted and then Klopptimist, and then I noticed that these “heroic” guards were trending in the media. I guess I am not that impressed and thought that “now it’s a tad too much bread and circus, this isn’t even about the Queen but now those who carry her body are getting hailed as impeccable soldiers too, for carrying her with diginity” (not my exact thoughts probably, since I don’t remember those, but something along those lines). Probably because there is a real full scale war going on in Europe, I think this is getting a bit out of hand, making these soldiers some sort of uncanny legendary coffin bearers.

Sorry, if someone took offence. I know it’s the funeral today. My apologies if I was crass.

7 Likes

I felt for them every time that had to go up steps…themselves, their families, their officers in charge should all be proud…very very proud…hold your heads high young men…(just my observation from today).

2 Likes

They are also infantrymen who have been on active duty tours, in fairness. The Guard Regiments are not only ceremonial. In fact ceremonial activities are only about 1/4 of their time. The rest of the time they are infantry or mechanised infantry and considered to be more on the more skilled end of the British Army.

3 Likes

I’m not a royalist and have been bemused about much of the goings-on over the last 10 days or so but this is something those blokes will remember for the rest of their lives, they’ve had a part to play in probably the most historic event in this country since the Queen’s coronation.

4 Likes

To be fair that’s their default reaction

This is our Prime Minister and country’s goodbye to Queen Elizabeth, our own small way. An iconic personality of our times, whether you like her or not, she is no more and once again our condolences to all in UK especially those I know here in TAN.

5 Likes

I finally found it

My Mum couldn’t even be arsed to stand up. Shocking.

She was a massive Royalist though so I reckon this moment probably meant more to her than her kids being born.

11 Likes

David Attenborough nails it:

3 Likes

Always fascinating to hear Attenborough speaking. They were the same age so their experiences covered the same period of history. It must have made for intriguing conversation.I didn’t know that he was responsible for the Christmas day speech. He was a senior exec at the BBC for years so I suppose this must have fallen under his remit.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Lucky, in light of recent events and all.

Liz Truss Tory GIF by GIPHY News

She’s a train wreck.

In your statement I Truss.

But we already knew that, yet you still made the comment!

god save @klopptimist from the Forex markets

3 Likes

Like mother, like son heh?

God save the King indeed.

More of this sort of thing is good.

3 Likes

Yes, read this earlier. Seems Chaz might actually be starting to drag the family out of the middle ages.

1 Like