The British Royal Family

Judging by twitter my family are the only ones in the world not to meet the Queen

4 Likes

Impeccable

1 Like

She had a very long reign and met many people. I went to church services at which she attended many times but never met her (which I would take to mean chatted to her or at least be introduced to). I suspect many people claiming to have met her were, in reality, just at the same event.

My late Mum had a long chat with the Queen, Iā€™ll post a photo later and one of my best men was head of the Palace secretariat. He knew her well and was made a Member of the Victorian Order.

3 Likes

I presume you now intend to share an anecdote?

1 Like

What is this supposed to mean in the context of your anecdote?

1 Like

To be fair I did :rofl:

Itā€™s who you know.

Whatā€™s the point of saying that in the context of your anecdote? What was important about ā€˜knowingā€™ the queen in this eg? What youā€™ve said doesnā€™t make sense without the contextā€¦

You do not get to be on the bloody ship without knowing the right people. Itā€™s really, quite obvious.

I think Iā€™ll take a break from TAN for a while as some of the posts are becoming quite offensive, regarding recent events. Some of the comments are an embarrassment to the club and to my City. I think itā€™s probably a good thing the Wolves match was postponed. Stay healthy everyone, see you next seasonā€¦ā€¦.maybe.

3 Likes

I might have done if it was interesting or amusing. Itā€™s neither.

1 Like

Take it easy mate. Donā€™t stay away that long though!

3 Likes

I hope you donā€™t go, as you add great value, and our seasoned reds have a valuable perspective for message boards like this.

As for the passing of the Queen, whether one is for or against the Royal Family, we should have a basic sense of respect and decency and if we canā€™t say anything nice, say nothing at all. At least for now. It shows a lack of class.

Have the period of mourning, burial, and then fine, if a Republican movement gains some traction, letā€™s see whatā€™s what. It might or it might not.

But now is not the time.

7 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Iā€™m kind of ashamed of myself for not knowing, but what has Williamā€™s preparation for this role been? I am no fan of Charles, but have to respect the seriousness and respect with which he approached taking on this title. I am not aware of any particular connection William has ever made to Wales and has always seemed far more connected to his future (now present) Scottish titles than this one.

Iā€™m never considered myself a committed Royalist, but have never fully accepted the idea of getting rid of them either. I very much buy the idea that her personal characteristics and her performance in the role has been been what has prevented a large number of people like myself jumping off the fence into Republicanism. However, now weā€™re faced with this prospect, and as I look back on the path America has taken, Iā€™m increasingly clear on the value of a non-political head of state. I donā€™t know how we address the issue of how inextricably linked the position is with the crimes of the Empire, much of which is not a matter of history but of living memory (Obamaā€™s Grandfather was imprisoned by the British for his role in the Kenyan independence movement), but if Charles, or more likely William, can start to do that I think there is a lot of value in keeping a clear separation between this role and that of the necessarily political roles of government.

4 Likes

My partner met the Queen when she got a civil service award. She was told that she had to curtsy, but when it came to it she decided she just couldnā€™t. Her majesty was not impressed. :joy:

1 Like

Now that the Queenā€™s passed away, does your partner get released from the Tower?

2 Likes