The British Royal Family

Please, you’ll note this is a request. Do it elsewhere.

6 Likes

If it makes you feel any better my uncle worked for her but never actually met her. He did meet Prince Andrew and didn’t like him before it was popular not to like him.

I have moved the discussion of whether or not the UK should become a republic into the UK Politics thread, which is a better fit than this memorial thread

8 Likes

Just heard the proclamation in Chester town centre outside the town hall. Shouting (this is me) “God save the king” along with several hundred others really was a hell of a moment of grief and history. The brass band had the wrong music though, they were playing way too much Grimethorp Colliery Band (conducted by my sadly passed friend Pete) and not enough Elgar. But still a very emotional moment.

1 Like

RIP. And all that to Queen Elizabeth, but kind of hypocritical from some in here to ask for respect yet the wumming that goes on in other threads, such as those who hold religious beliefs coming from someone who demands the kind of respect for queen/king and country attitude and then posts about how he shouts God save the King.

At the end of the day she’s dead, and republicans do have a right to air their views here as much as Klopptimist has a right to mock someone’s religious belief to make him look smug.

That being said whatever happens in the coming days, only thing can be sure of is we probably will never know another monarch like the late Queen, anything that comes after is just a shadow compared to the service she did .

3 Likes

Well, we agree on something at least.

For those of you who smart with any criticism of QEII, here is a nice article that makes the point more delicately (and articulately) for you precious petals:

2 Likes

I experienced a bit of an existential crisis after a short break in Vienna in 2010. I was well aware of the city’s historical importance, but I was still really struck by its grandeur and majesty. I was standing in a city so presently unimportant on the world stage that I’d imagine a lot of Americans would be unable to distinguish it from the city in Italy with the boats, and yet if you dropped anyone in the middle of it and told them it was London they’d be able to believe it. It got me thinking a lot of the concept of decline…how far does it have to go before you can recognize it is happening?

It was really difficult to not think of this in the context of London and the UK as a whole. How much of our sense of worth and power was a mirage? A hold over of a time when Vienna/Austria could justifiably rival us. If that was true, what was it that was preventing the curtain being pulled back? I’ve never experienced being back in the UK the same way since. When I go back to Wales I don’t even go into town because its too god damn depressing. A once thriving town centre full of locally owned businesses is now full of boarded up store fronts, and the ones that are open are seemingly either shitty american fast food places or pound shops. It’s a lot easier to understand Brexit when you see the change in communities like this, but it still doesnt seem like reality has kicked in.

That piece really speaks to that feeling I’ve had since then, something that was very keenly felt but difficult to put into words. For some reason it seems to make a lot more sense with the Queen’s passing, like it removes one piece of the story we can continue to tell ourselves about our lot in life that is in direct contradiction to the realities we live.

3 Likes

I thought you didn’t believe in God?

1 Like

Perhaps @Klopptimist just doesn’t care if there’s any saving the King?

It’s definitely an oddity though. I don’t believe in a religious “God” but have sung the national anthem with gusto on many occasions.

It’s definitely something of a paradox, for sure. I think of religion as a manifestation of the flawed human psyche; brought about by our incapability to leave things unexplained and a tool with which to subjugate the masses. I consider it goes against reason. That’s specifically religion, as opposed to a belief in some higher supernatural force or whatever.

But at the same time I’m supportive of our constitutional monarchy. And I specifically mean the constitutional monarchy, rather than the monarchy of centuries past, the one of absolute power, divine right of Kings, empire, conquest, oppression…

If that was what the monarchy was then I’d be staunchly republican, but it isn’t, and hasn’t been for centuries.

I think the constitutional monarchy works extremely well but maybe that’s because I’ve only known it as it has been under Queen Elizabeth II. Maybe it’s flaws will be more visible, more problematic under Charles. But I somehow doubt it.

Equally, however, I can see why there are those who are religious who perceive of the monarchy as something of a less enlightened, less enfranchised, more racist, more oppressive, less equitable past. Who rail against the very concept of inherited privilege and position. Whilst I feel that the first portrayal is mendacious I certainly sympathise with the latter position. It is entirely counter to all my instincts that position and privilege can be inherited. But I ponder on the alternatives, the pros and cons, and ultimately remain supportive of something imperfect but something that works.

7 Likes

You have captured a feeling that many “Ex Brits” have.

A Colombian friend of mine were discussing this emotion a while ago. In simplest form - You no longer feel that you belong in your home country, and you do not feel completely assimilated into the country in which you choose to live.

One is trapped somewhere between the two.

Very eloquently described.

4 Likes

The feeling of not belonging to any nation applies to a lot of people in the UK i feel.

4 Likes

I may have mentioned the term for this, when kids grow up in a culture that is not their parent’s primary culture. Third culture kids.

Our daughter has this quite profoundly. Now 19, born in England, lived there until age 5, went to school here in the States, never really felt fully at home, so is now back in England to get in touch with her roots.

You have a strong sense that you are never truly at home in either place.

I feel that too.

1 Like

While I agree that he might have try to mock people of their religious beliefs, and even I do not understand the existence of a monarchy in these days, I will still hesitate to post my thoughts on this in this thread because firstly I never like doing something just for tit for tat, others might do it, does not mean I have to add to it. Secondly even if I don’t agree or doesn’t understand, there are people even other than Klopptimist who are profoundly affected by the Queen’s death so as respect for everyone who is, let’s not further antagonize our fellow posters who are. I am personally interested in the discussion of whether UK will do away with the monarchy but like some has said, let’s take it to the right thread and not do it here especially if the purpose is to antagonize or piss off another fellow poster.

6 Likes

Well said.

1 Like

I don’t but I’m reliably informed that she believes in me.

1 Like

Perhaps Klopptimist’s many prayers were answered, and God did save the Queen. :rofl:

Just kidding. Of course I know people sing the words to the national anthem in a way to show support for the country, or promote unity, or pride or whatever feelings they have, and don’t necessarily mean the words they sing.

On a related note, it has been moving to watch the images of the Queen’s coffin being transported, and people coming out to line the streets as a mark of respect.

The images of the tractors, lining the edge of the fields as the Queen’s hearse went past, was something I never expected to see, and will live with me for a long time.

2 Likes

I was talking about having an epiphany about the country’s decline and question whether the presence of the queen has contributed to the persistence of a narrative about our place in the world that no longer really reflects our reality. I guess the point was to question whether her passing and different attitudes to Charles will create a “vibe shift” that makes people view the country’s standing differently.

I am aware of the phenomenon you speak about, but it wasn’t what was I was expressing nor is it something I feel personally.

Which is exactly what the article was saying; @BigJon just totally missed the point.

Perhaps the end of this ‘reign’ will be an opportunity for a realistic self appraisal by the country and mark a shift away from ‘british exceptionalism’ toward 21 century strategic focus, planning and realism. May need a few electoral cycles though…

During the Corona Virus Pandemic, when we were down in spirits, she lifted us up and she stuck by the rules, like the rest of us in the country, except the government officials who were partying during lockdown.

I went to Buckingham Palace yesterday with my friend. It was very emotional and the floral tributes were magnificent.
I just felt I had to say thank you to Her Majesty for all she has done for this country and the Commonwealth. She was kind of like the nation’s matriach hugged us all together, despite our individual differences.
We were also interviewed by US NBC tv reporter asking, what the Queen meant us personally

Here are a few snaps i took.

9 Likes