The British Royal Family

Exactly the experience many people have when returning to their country of origin. Memory can be deceptive, and the slow creep of entropy and decline is hard to discern when you are on the inside - it’s like the fabled frog in a slowly boiling pot of water.

Anyway - I missed the point.

I promise not to like any of your posts in the future.

The one that says Processing: 20220911_145414.jpg… is going to be my favourite.

1 Like

Can you see any of the pictures @Nobluff :grimacing:?
Don’t know what is going on and why it is taking time to upload. Uff!
Any ideas, file too big??

Edit: i think i sorted them out. I took loads of photos, the pictures above are a tiny fraction of how many flowere there were, the smell was so nice throughout the whole park.

By the way, i met Angela Rippon! The former BBC Newscaster.

2 Likes

:+1:

I see 4 of them now.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget that the Queen honoured the parents who had campaigned tirelessly for justice of the 96.

Queen Elizabeth II honoured them with a CBE.

Regardless of anyone’s feelings on the monarchy or the anthem. I think we can all respect that can’t we.

6 Likes

This forelock tugging thing is now well out of hand:

Gives me a better appreciation for how stifling British class system must be. No wonder so many Poms love Oz and, free of their shackles, usually lead very fulfilling and satisfying lives here.

And here is the first mainstream media published piece I’ve seen allowed to be critical of the ‘official mourning’ - penned by an Indigenous member of parliament:

Two points:

1. Perhaps these articles are better served in the UK politics thread? Its more about UK society than QE2? I’ve gone out of my way to stay out of this particular thread as it serves no-one upsetting those that care deeply about the Queen’s death (which is what this thread is for), even if the last few tedious days have agitated the hell out of me, and with my disdain with the Monarchy in general

2. My internal sarcasm-meter is often quite wonky, but if there is no sarcasm, IMO, having lived in both countries for extended periods, Australia is more of a nanny state than the UK. And by a fair margin.

2 Likes
2 Likes

We need to do away with these middle eastern dictatorial fucks they just pollute western civilisation.

An expectation that the kings and presidents of the region [Middle East] would board a bus to travel to Westminster Abbey has not been received well. Nor have mooted seating plans that place regional royals and presidents on pews well behind Commonwealth leaders who were an important part of the Queen’s orbit, but are often less influential when it comes to Britain’s trade and security ties.

2 Likes

And perhaps even worse:

In Abu Dhabi, expectations are high of deeper ties with the new King.
He won’t be able to do that as King, but they know that he understands them. He hasn’t been banging on about the tyranny of autocracy for years. He isn’t a preacher like some British officials have been.

“There is a lot hanging on this, in the eyes of the GCC,” said a Kuwaiti official. “Everyone is reading the tea leaves. However, it’s not off to a good start. If the King came to our neighbourhood, we would not put him on a bus. Expecting firm friends of King Charles to all gather like schoolboys on a bus to go to the funeral is not the start we were expecting. That’s why some of us are staying away.”

2 Likes

just to prove a point id make the bus an electric one…emphasise its a carbon nuetral funeral procession and even donate 200k to some kind of bangledashi labour fund, fully explaining that the savings made by not driving 350 cars through central London on the day is going to those less fortunate…

maybe they dont understand that a 300 car convoy is worse for the enviroment, and will benefit from having it explained?

3 Likes

The new monarch is apparently the country’s most committed environmentalist. His government make the arrangements but you can’t tell me that if it was important enough to him he could actually do more in this direction for the funeral. I can’t quite believe Bolsanaro got an invitation for example.

1 Like

Don’t forget though, this isn’t his coronation, it’s the queen’s funeral. Very much not HIS day.

2 Likes

Would be great if his coronation was a green affair. No cars, no planes, everyone just walking and cycling, wearing environmentally friendly fabrics and eating organic vegan food.
He’d be an instant legend.

3 Likes

I realise the funeral plans are mostly in others’ hands. The choice of which countries’ leaders were to be excluded was clearly a politician’s choice. So I accept it’s logical to assume he will have far more influence next year.

2 Likes

Disgusting fans…openly supported the IRA too.

I witnessed their appalling behaviour at Anfield.

2 Likes

Hmmm is there a huge number of people in Scotland who do not fancy the monarchy? Or just certain parts of Scotland or just the Celtics fans?

Probably half the Scottish population going by the independence vote a few years ago.

1 Like