The Case For The Defence

Comedy Please GIF by Nickelodeon

Inacio wouldn’t surprise me at all, especially if Amorim is coming and he plays three at the back. Left footer, who uses the ball very well.

I think he is very likely too. Less about Amorim, and more that he’s been on Liverpool’s radar for a long time.

Fair shout, he has been linked for a good while.

What of other reports linking Ousmane Diomande? For the sake of being speculative, maybe we will buy the pair of them, to form a new trio with Virg, and Quansah to rotate in, along with Gomez too.

The sting in the tail being Konate leaves to go back to Paris and play for PSG.

Inacio and Diomande in, Konate and Matip out.

Pure speculation on my part, but refreshes the defence with a pair who play together, have a better injury record than Konate, keeps Van Dijk - who might transition to preferring a three as he gets older, with Quansah and Gomez other central defenders retained to rotate in.

From Who Would You Buy thread. Aussie replying to the assertion that there’s no place for Sepp van den Berg:

Matip is clearly going, and the last few weeks have raised question marks about Konate too. Quansah seems to have overtaken him, which is a worry at this stage of his career.

Will Gomez want to spend the rest of his career as a back up?

The fact that JG keeps getting the nod ahead of Tsimikas must be irking Kostas. Does he want to be third choice?

There could be quite a few changes in defence, even if the first choice remains TAA JQ VVD AR.

I think all these issues are only a problem when you focus narrowly on a few weeks at a time. Looking at a whole season, they all got decent game time. They all play different roles. I don’t think there’s that big an issue here.

Even the individual players have had their own patches of good and bad for, so i don’t think we’d be looking to get rid of anyone. If anyone moves on it’s likely it’ll be because they think they have better opportunities out there.

It’s possible that JG and KT do have better opportunities in terms of playing time at least.

No Ibou? :thinking:

I think it’s fairly likely that Kostas goes this summer, and the club bring in/promote whoever is going to be Robertson’s successor. Makes sense to do that with Joe knocking about.

1 Like

Would be very stupid to let Tsimikas go. With the new Champions League format there will be even more games from now on.

Why potentially create problems where we don’t have problems?

It already is a problem though. For Tsimikas he’s third choice LB behind the backup RB, a truth which has made us horribly unbalanced from the LB position. What’s the risk in letting him go if we can get someone in to eventually succeed Robertson, and can relied upon to play more regularly? Tsimikas usually awful whenever he plays anyway, hence why Gomez took his place.

1 Like

No not good enough makes too many errors and is injured far too often.

I think everyone on this forum knows that you don’t rate him.

1 Like

And Gomez is the 5th choice CB and the 3rd choice RB. Why are we not cashing in on him?

Tsimikas had some very good games before his injury. Signed a new contract until 2027 not long ago. Doubt he is going anywhere.

Robbo was awful before and after his injury. Why not sell him?

I don’t want any of them to leave.

We need one senior player more than we had at the start of this season and more importantly we have to improve the player availability - by replacing Matip and Thiago for a start.

1 Like

Yeah I agree we should cash in on Gomez. Defence hasn’t been upgraded in a long time. We should have a long term prospect at LB, a new CB and a winger for Salah’s inevitable departure. That really isn’t much to ask.

2 Likes

There’s an opening with Matip’s departure. Why should Gomez leave as well when he covers multiple positions competently and is still only 26?

I’ve made this post a few times so I dont want to clog up the thread but essentially because hes a terrible CB so not adequate cover there, a competant RB but overtaken by Bradley as primary backup and a serviceable LB who breaks the shape of the team when he plays there because he has no left foot.

Instead of having “ok” coverage at LB I want a potential starter to come in for both CB and LB.

3 Likes

We need a central defender and a left back. Who? Hard to say, but I hope both are first team ready right now, to either go straight in, or light a fire under the others to be at their best. Win-win.

We need a winger to replace Salah, and if Salah stays, the new winger will still see plenty of action. Kudus. Williams. Olise. Bakayoko. Someone like that. I could see Bakayoko.

Depending on what Slot wants to do, we might need a defensive midfielder, someone to go right to the top of the class in the engine room. We have lots of 8s and Endo is the 6. Either Endo, or one of the more advanced midfielders have held it together there for us this season, and I think we can improve the position, depending on how Slot wants to tackle it. Someone like Tchouameni, if he could be prised from Real Madrid, would be perfect. He has been a little bit in and out for them, and you never know, stranger things have happened.

That’s four big signings, assuming we get accomplished players and not prospects.

Like all reds I’m watching to see if there might be an unexpected departure in the mix.

2 Likes

I wonder where Gordon and Doak fit into that reckoning.

It’s tricky. Gordon just signed a new deal so he seems highly rated. And Doak was starting to get on the fringe of the first team before getting injured. There’s lots of time.

Good luck to the pair of them, and if they make the grade they will have chances under Slot, as apparently he loves his wingers.

We need to sign more of a sure thing though, someone who can start right now and/or put pressure on the experienced wingers already here to rotate with them.

It’s up to Gordon and Doak to keep progressing and force their way into the first team equation.

2 Likes