The Central Midfield Thread

Who could possibly have foreseen Ox, Keita, Thiago and Henderson all picking up injuries…

Vicious cycle this. The lack of availability of the likes of Ox and Keita means over playing the likes of Henderson, Fabinho and Milner and increasing their risk of injury. But with kids the only other options and the concerns of over playing them that leaves us little other choice until we’re out of senior ones and the young lads are all we’ve got left.

Elliott and Carvalho look great but we can’t play them twice a week, every week for the next three months.

5 Likes

Still not a word how long Keïta is out or did I miss something?

1 Like

With Jota also back in training it’s the only option I feel we have.

Bar Carvalho and I don’t want to play him all the time just yet.

We need an option with defensive nous. Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago are the only 3 senior players who have it and two of them are injured and two of them are playing crap anyway.

At this point signing somebody like Douglas Luiz seems to be the best option. Relatively cheap, plugs some holes that we need plugging, decent premier league player.

1 Like

Keita is probably frozen out of the team for the near future even if he returns from injury.

Hope you’re being sarcastic.

Answer is anyone who has followed their time with LFC.

Douglas Luiz is a good bet. We definitely screwed the pooch big time in not going for the likes of Bruno Guimares / Paulinha earlier.

Failing Luiz , take a punt on Sangare.

There were quite a lot of decent options earlier in the window and even if we do get Bellingham in Jan, 1 midfielder isn’t going to be enough looking at the injury problems we have.

I tend to agree but this defensive nous hasn’t much shown so far.

I don’t think Hendo is serious and would be fine if Keita and Thiago were fit but yeah again it just adds to it and it’s probably a knock on from him playing when he wasn’t fit.

3 Likes

The sad thing is Wee Jay can probably still run faster than Fab or Hendo.

I’m thinking we might just start Fab, Milner and Elliott until someone else comes back or if we sign someone tomorrow. Jones and Bajetic (sp?) from the bench. Hendo didn’t look too bad, so maybe just misses the weekend.

Klopp went with Carvalho tonight, Milner has every chance of starting but he isn’t playing 2 games in a week.

Not sure why the clamour is to start two defensive type CMs.

I’d do it against Napoli but Everton that midfield of theirs last night was got at hard by Leeds.

No clamour from me, just think that’s what Klopp will do based on previous. I’m hoping he surprises and goes with Jones or perhaps Carvalho and takes the game to them from the off.

1 Like

I saw it elsewhere so apologies I’d rather he do the latter. I can understand it against Napoli to a certain degree.

1 Like

He’s also been our main goal scoring threat, with Salah out hogging the touchline

1 Like

Perhaps he should try his luck with Jones, even though dude is just an average midfielder.

With our captain injured now…we really need someone to SPEARhead our midfield now! mmm…who…who…

Charge Running GIF by Power Rangers

1 Like

The deficiencies in our midfield have also added additional pressure on our defenders, who already play a high line and haven’t had the same protection of the three in front of them. It’s put a lot more pressure on Van Dijk, especially, as he’s often the last line of defense. Harvey often tracks forward towards the box, while Hendo can be played around because of his lack of athleticism and pace. Fabinho is supposed to provide more cover, but he’s been off the pace at times - almost as if he isn’t fully fit. And besides, he can’t cover the entire width of the pitch.

Getting Thiago, Curtis, and Keita back would offer some additional cover and prevent teams from just bypassing the midfield. But another competent body would help. It’s too bad we couldn’t get Gini back on loan with reduced wages. I have not been his biggest fan, but it’s unquestionable that he’d be able to slide into this team quite easily and would be a nice short-term fix.

1 Like

They do normally take turns :wink:

From midfield!

hed end up on Allisons Toes