The Central Midfield Thread

You’ve contradicted yourself here. You’ve pointed out that he took the blame on himself and said that he was wrong, then said he’s blaming the club.

Also you’re assuming that what he says to the media is the same as what he’s saying behind closed doors.

He doesn’t need me to defend him but personally I like the way that he puts the club/collective before himself. Compared to Tuchel, Conte, Rafa etc constantly moaning than they need more players

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s blaming the owners, he’s saying he’d take more risk (i.e. overspend on a player) and the owners don’t want to. He also is very clear he understands and accepts how the club is run.

I’m with Mascot, I think Klopp put too much faith in injury prone midfielders rather than replacing them.

The good news is Klopp is a bit of a decent manager, and I think more minutes for Elliott and Carvalho is only a good thing.

2 Likes

Nope. I just set out the timeline.

If there is a contradiction there, it’s Klopp’s.

With about a week left of the window he said he was wrong about the midfield, and a few days later he’s saying we need to take more risks.

2 Likes

Like you said feels like JK’s a bit all over the place.

In the TIA article he seems to indicate more playing time for Bajcetic. Guessing he’s ready to come in at certain times (and not just at 5-0 up)

This is the important bit, never heard of half of these…

1 Like

Fred at 94%? Is this like one of these DNA things where we share the vast majority of our DNA with crocodiles etc.

I was gonna say, was a bit excited to see a lot of unknowns which would hopefully mean we’d be able to get one or two at a reasonable price without much of a bidding war…

And then saw Fred on the list

College Basketball GIF by Mayhem

It will help, providing we can find enough players to fill the bench.

1 Like

Always enough to fill the bench - all else fails, get Spearing a squad number :upside_down_face:

That rumour was started by me… :rofl:

In my experience always double check any Joyce tweets as he seems to be regularly parodied - for good measure they always get immediately blocked as well.

Klopp’s faith in his players is one of his strongest traits. It is core to how committed and unified the group is. But it’s pretty clear there is the potential for it to be a double edged sword with him retaining faith in players who have delivered for him in the past beyond their expiration date.

1 Like

Faith in injury-prone players is always going to be a gamble, and the collective legs of our midfielders have proven to be made of chocolate. JK is a top of the line manager. He surely knows this in his heart. Call me paranoid, but I’m beginning to suspect his hands have been somewhat tied by a lack of financial support from above.

There was a feeling that we were preparing for some rejigging of the squad in 2021 and then Covid hit and exits for the players on the fringes disappeared. What it feels like to me is that plans to bring players in were halted because the exits were managed, and we then went on to get more out of those players than we expected to and that has relit faith from Klopp in the likes of Naby and Ox, which has now blown up in his face.

1 Like

Fabinho,Chamberlain and Kieta are our only MFs in their prime,age wise.2 of them are always injured.We still have a fantastic front line but we really should have at least 2 top players,uninjured ,in their prime in midfield,otherwise we lose the energy and/or experience needed to control a game.
We had 3 in Fabinho,Henderson and Wijnaldum. We need to get back to that level.

1 Like

I’d agree, looked very good everytime I’ve seen him. We missed a trick.

With Jordan Henderson being out for at least 2 weeks with a hamstring issue, LFC and Klopp just literally set themselves up for a midfield crisis!

1 Like

We got Milner :neutral_face:

1 Like

Nunez back into the attack, and Bobby into midfield.

I don’t want to hear that he isn’t a midfielder. He spends all his bloody time in midfield.

1 Like

Even if we get a midfielder in now , it will be a panic buy and we need 2 of them.

Hopefully one stop gap replacement for Keita/ox who can be a useful backup option going forward and one more who we can have in Jan who’s a bang on starter.