The Central Midfield Thread

Modric and Kloos will still start many games.

Tchoumeni is already a bit unhappy and Camavinga being used as a left back.

Many players went to Madrid and it did not turn out the expected way. Could happen to Jude too.

2 Likes

Id take Touchemani on loan if we could.

I know not everyone would but if it allows us to push the boat and reinforce the squad then.

Let’s just get Thuram and Kone and he can stew in his own juice.

2 Likes

Would need to a bit of a last resort/late in the window option, and include a buy clause of some sort.

My preference is buying players on permanent terms right now - provides much more certainty.

2 Likes

True it’s an option if available anyhow and probably a better one than what we did but you are right.

Liverpool have nothing to learn from Real Madrid.

7 Likes

I have to leave this video here, very interesting imo

2 Likes

We actually do in this case.

No, we dont

:blush:

We tried to sign half those players and they priced us out of it.

4 Likes

that’s an awfully arrogant statement, don’t you think?

We operate in a completely different ecosystem.

No, not in the slightest.

Real Madrid are the biggest and richest club in world football. They have the biggest fanbase and brand. They have commercial deals paying them billions of dollars. They play in a league where they have little competition, gain most of the revenue and have the backing of their football and government infrastructure.

Benzema is reported to have been earning wages of 15m euros (AS) or 26m a season (Marca). The equivalent for our four leaving on a free this summer is probably around ÂŁ6m between them.

The only thing we have in common is a shared passion for playing in european football and for playing ‘good’ football.

So, what are we supposed to learn from their ‘midfield rebuild’?

We went for at least two of the same targets and in the same seasons they did.

Look at the other targets we have an interest in, they are all players young enough to play for the next decade with us if they are good enough.

4 Likes

rebuttal #1

look at how they do business in the transfer market. Those who think they have nothing to learn from the best in the business will learn lessons the hard way. Most of their transfers are loan agreements as they try to develop players through their B squad and youth organization. When they do splash the pot, they splash big but for a player who will stay for a long time and help them stay successful. And they’ve been doing this for decades. yes their revenue is only 10% higher than ours? so is the difference the operating costs of England vs Spain? they don’t make Billions like you said.

1 Like

Its not a rebuttal. City may have the richest owners, but the club’s income is largely fiction and driven by the owners not through the club.

I didn’t say they did on a yearly basis, I said

They have commercial deals paying them billions of dollars

Which is true. I posted about this in the La Liga thread last year. They have at least 1 multi year deal with legacy sports team in the US contracted over the life of the deal to pay them a figure in the billions.

Comparing revenues over a one year period misses the point anyway

Which they have been able to do because of a favourable footballing infrastructure and revenue base. It’s not the same football set up in England - FSG have already looked at seeing what they can do via other clubs (werent they linked with buying into another club a few months ago in South America or Europe?)

Again, which is what we are already trying to do. Although Real Madrid can shrug off a 115m on a 28+ year old Hazard.

1 Like

I guess if this is true it must be because we ‘learned from Real Madrid’ on how to buy a french midfielder… :rofl:

And who won La Liga?

the Spanish equivalent of Man City?

We should learn about timing. Look at how they have timed and implemented the evolution of their MF.
That is the point here. And all the players are in their 20s…

Do I want/wish us to be like Madrid? Hell no!