The Coffee Thread

Grinding the bean?

family guy followers GIF

2 Likes

My wife uses a pod machine which she would like to replace but is scared that a straight filter machine won’t give as good a result. I just use Kenco instant intense coffee which I really like.

I have a young relative who is a part time barista and he said forget all the fancy machines and just get an aeropress.

Any recommendations?

I’ve got an Aeropress I use at work. Simple, clean, no coffee grounds down the sink, and delivers a decent coffee depending on what grounds you use.

Highly recommended from me.

Coffee has become my little “vice” for want of a better word. I barely drink, working really hard on my diet and fitness and coffee has become my little daily release. But none drunk after lunch.

I’ve also found out that there’s some evidence it helps people with kidney disease. Awesome…

2 Likes

Do you use a finely ground coffee in the aeropress?

They are very reasonably priced so I think I will go ahead and get one.

Yes. The current grounds I’m using have been ground very fine and I’m having no problems. I’m currently using the paper filters as I have a stock of them. I’ll be switching to a metal one when they’re finished.

Top tip. Instructions tell you fill the lower half of the press over your cup. Turn it the other way up with the plunger just inserted into the press. Fill it, stir, let it sit for your desired time. Then put the filter and filter cap on and turn it over and place on top of your cup. Far cleaner as the liquid will leak through the filter the other way. It takes a few goes to get a little system going but it works. I’ll see if I can grab some photos to explain the above.

1 Like

I was selling cold brew coffee for a while I was laid off, that business has closed down since after a year, but I was surprised how good cold brew coffee is especially for those who are very sensitive to acidity in coffee.

The link above has broken…so here it is again just to be a dickhead.

That looks terrifying :cold_sweat:

terminator GIF

Have a coffee…now!

2 Likes

It’s the business.

Mine are pretty good, but Mrs SBYM makes the best coffee in London!

Can I visit?

Do you like Vegemite sandwiches

I use a Mokka pot

with this coffee

Taylors of Harrogate Hot Lava Java

Bit of a faff to clean it each time but delivers a stoking triple espresso at 7am!

1 Like

I’ve seen some stuff saying that’s it’s beneficial to wait for about an hour after getting up before having coffee. The jolt from the caffeine combined with the cortisol spike which you get when waking tends to send us off kilt.

That’s my excuse for visiting the gym at 6am. Got to admit, a coffee afterwards is pretty awesome.

1 Like

What I’ve read it’s 30mins or so and I get up between 06:00 and 06:30 (thanks 4 year old), I typically have a glass of water first.

I don’t drink any other caffine during the day, usually start to get tired around 8pm when it’s wind down time anyway.

Seems to be the right balance for me, straight to the clearing the pipes within 10mins :wink:

Legend.

Shameful.

Haha it’s borderline as it is, I had my morning coffee before going for a blood pressure check and I wasn’t allowed to leave as it was abnormally high. Had to go back without having my coffee and it was normal!

It’s absolute utter nonsense. Dont worry about it at all.

It was discussed briefly in the midriff thread at the end of last year

I have to wait 30mins minimum anyway because of my medication and if I forget to take my medication when I get up I usually only remember when I decide I want a coffee so then have to wait 30mins from that point :frowning:

Then as soon as I’ve made it, that’s when the cat decides he wants to have a shit.

1 Like