The Copa America thread

Mac Allister got wiped out but set up the opening goal for Argentina in doing so.

Initially stayed down but he seems okay now.

Canada having a good crack.

Apologies to our American friends but I struggle with the commentators.

Messiā€™s assist wow. Thought he would play it right or shoot but just deft light touch will do it.

Canada have a lot of good athletes - solid group.

Second Argentina goal was a beautiful thing, exploiting space really well front to back.

I miss Gary Medel.

1 Like

Werenā€™t the Reds linked with the pit bull way back when?

1 Like

Some uninspired football so far, though Canada did give Argentina a go in the opener.

Peru-Chile, and Venezuela-Ecuador beating on each other, and Jamaica-Mexico just booting the ball up and down the pitch. Luckily, someone scored, though Mexico look shit.

US this evening, and Darwin and Bielsa late night. Hopefully theyā€™ll kick it up a notch.

1 Like

Crowds have been awful, largely because of absurd ticket prices. You are not filling Dallasā€™ stadium with Peruvians and Chileans, so how many locals do you think you are getting coming to a mid game like that while charging $200 a ticket? Itā€™s all been a bit embarrassing for the US organization. You see the crowds of fans all over Germany making amazing spectacles and then think for the Copa the fans, if any showed up, would be forced to hangout in a Walmart parking lot next to the stadiumā€¦

3 Likes

I thought about attending Brazil v Colombia. Then I looked at prices and thought about parking at a Leviā€™s, and decided Iā€™d watch at home while indoor dash some Indian.

1 Like

Darwin turning down multiple solid chances - out of kindness, I suppose, to quote Townes.

Feels like Panama will struggle as the game goes on. This Uruguay team is rabid.

Weeeew, Darwin finally got his goal.

https://streamin.me/v/adfa4a28

1 Like

Colombia 2 - 1 Paraguay

Brazil 0 - 0 Costa Rica

Brazil is really looking shit these days. Theyā€™ve got some wonderful attacking options, but their midfield and defense (aside from Alisson) look pedestrian.

The fact that the US team was only able to draw just over half of the capacity at Arlington says it all

Iā€™ve seen more action after 10 minutes in the Peru v Canada match than I did watching the Euros today.

1 Like

An official has collapsed from the heat in KC.

Iā€™ve never seen that before.

Iā€™m surprised it doesnā€™t happen more often. Summer in the Midwest is no climate to play football.

1 Like

And I see more give a shit attitude from the Argies and Chileans than England.

Remember doing the line at a high school match in Charlotte late spring, and it was in the low 90s. I had the half where the better team was attacking, and the lesser team played a high line defensively. Better team kept playing balls over the top, and after about 5 offside calls, figured out their runs. Spent the rest of the half sprinting towards goal, then jogging back to center line. At halftime I was dripping sweat from everywhere. Wasnā€™t enough Gatorade to be had.

I started one season once in Central Illinois, which would have been the second last weekend in August. Even from just the procession of walking from the air conditioned changing rooms and standing for the national anthem, by the time we were ready to kick off I was able to wring sweat out of my shirt. It was oppressive.

The following week we were in nothern illinois just South of Chicago. With just 300 miles north and 6 days closer to autumn it was long sleeves and glove weather (for the softies). Midwest weather can get fucked :joy:

3 Likes