The Corona Pandemic

Not just another lockdown, but with the R number above one, how long before coutnries start banning travel from UK?

People are being asked to travel 300 miles for a test. It’s farcical.

But sadly it’s what happens when you put clowns in charge.

1 Like

I guess it depends on how bad it gets. Not off to a great start though are we?

Welp… end of first week back at school, and youngest daughter has woken up with a major cough and temp. We think it’s a cold rather than Covid, but even so wife is having to take her to a testing site this afternoon, and until we get a negative back we can’t leave the house and they can’t go back to school.

Deep joy.

2 Likes

Crossing fingers for you.

Our little one has the bogies this morning. Temperature normal thankfully.

We’re fairly sure it’s just a cold, mainly as we’re 99% certain she/we had Covid back at the start of lockdown in spring. It’s more of an annoyance, as puts the kibosh on all our weekend plans, which included the restart of swimming lessons for the kids and the trip to the dump we’d booked a month ago to get rid of a load of the old crap filling the house…

1 Like

Ours both had horrible colds this week after school went back. That’s normal and just because Coronavirus is a thing doesn’t mean all the usual September bugs aren’t going to happen. Fingers crossed it’s just that. They were right as rain after a few days.

But our new thing is that the youngest has an endoscopy in a fortnight, and we have to isolate for a week before :mask:

1 Like

Can you not still do that? Does the whole family have to immediately go into lockdown for 2 weeks if your kid has a temperature? My boy’s come back from his first proper week at nursery with a runny nose and a mild cough (probably caused by the fact he can’t yet blow his nose properly). No temperature.

Well, according to the wife who is more on the ball with these things, we have to isolate until we get a negative back from the test youngest daughter is going to get today. The last time we did one it came back quickly, but not expecting it to be within 24 hours, which it would have to be if we wanted to keep our dump slot.

4 Likes

Hope it’s just a flu. My prayers are with you.

1 Like

Hope for the best for you and yours, but you need to be aware that there are now multiple confirmed cases of second infections. Our immune response appears to last between 4 and 6 months, so having it in the spring is no guarantee now.

2 Likes

Cheers, and, yeah, we’re treating it as if it was, while obviously hoping that it’s not (it’s a very phlegmy, chesty cough, which I think makes it unlikely it is).

Fascinating comparison of NYC and Madrid in this discussion.

3 Likes

I find this so frustrating as it just drives home the importance of the fundamentals of controlling an outbreak (contact tracing) even if we don’t know much about the virus itself.

2 Likes

@ZinedineBiscan
Its infinitley sensible to isolate as close contacts until your daughter is deemed negative.
Any deviation compromises you, and painful as that is, its the only way to keep the curve down.

83 year old auntie is really ill at the minute with a high temperature. Only test we can get her is 150 miles away. What the fuck is going on?

3 Likes

This really sucks. After witnessing first hand, the government should have learned.

Best of luck. Crossing fingers for you and your family.

I’m struggling to undrstand the situation. Testing capacity is apparently there but while numbers are lower the capacity isn’t there in the real world. Where have all the multi million pound testing contracts with the accountancy firms gone?

More lies?

I’d say more likely into the back pockets of Cummings lackies

2 Likes

Keep trying.

In the end we were unable to get a testing spot yesterday, and this morning were being offered ones at the other end of the country. Finally a slot opened up 30 minutes up the road, which we grabbed. When my wife gets there, she says it’s completely deserted, so who knows what the fuck is going on.

6 Likes