The Corona Pandemic

Definitely not Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

5 Likes

FFS, 150 miles?!?

I am not thrilled with our testing and tracing, but it is in a different league - 1-2 day wait for a slot, or ~6 hours if you want same day on a stand-by basis. However, results turnaround has been about 24 hours. That needs to step up as kids go back to school.

Hope for the best for your family.

1 Like

School terms started so he’s had his bag of coke delivered. :sneezing_face:

One of my wife’s colleagues was told the closest place to test last week was Aberdeenshire. She lives near Portsmouth.

Beyond inept.

1 Like

Well, that explains why Dane keeps saying he is not seeing many problems.

2 Likes

The Government want people to travel longer distances

1.Spread the virus
2.Catch speeders on the new 60mph sections of the Motorways.

1 Like

I find articles like this extremely politically motivated. I see minimal mention of the constant protests and riots breaking out in USA, with a 100 straight days of protests and riots in Portland alone.

Anyway, Covid numbers are down in Canada, with suicide, domestic abuse rates increased. Economy probably fucked for years to come.

IMO Important questions not being asked/answered:

1. When does the social distancing stop?
  2. When does the mask wearing stop?
  3. What gets done about the constant irresponsible actions of China?

When you at 0 cases? When you at 0 deaths?

Hope you find a solutions!

I like the Sweden approach to this. Take special care of at risk population and encourage rest of population to be sensible.

We have a questionnaire here in Canada in order to book appointment for test. I checked it out and thought fine, 5 questions, perfect, I got to questions 5, then it jumped to 10, questions, 20 questions, 30 questions, then I gave up. We also have portable testing stations, not near us, and not sure if you need to answer same questions.

Say all you like about the USA, however they have tested 27% of the populations with private health care, and in Canada we have government health care and have only tested 15% of the populations. Try figure that one out.

Covid numbers aren’t down in Canada. Alberta and BC both just recorded their highest daily new case count to date. Ontario and Quebec are both above July and August numbers. No one can truly say when masks and social distancing stop, but not now. The graphs look fairly clearly like a slow build toward another wave, rather than the sharp peak we saw in the Spring.

Suicide rates have been projected to be higher, but there is no data. The projected wave of suicides has yet to happen, although summer months tend to be lower anyway. In fact, excess mortality is not a positive number in every province.

Sweden has 578 deaths per million population, one of the worst rates in the developed world!

Not sure what province you are in, testing was a little more straightforward here.

1 Like

:pleading_face:

These suicides are Corona induced??? Job losses!!!

Ontario. Yes true suicides rates are projected to increase, however actual cases have increased as per the media I have read. It seems to make sense that it would have increased.

I am slightly behind on Canada’s numbers, comparing it to what it was recently ~ a few weeks ago. I wonder if its going to get worse when winter hits?

Yes, Sweden is high, and this can be correlated directly to the beginning of the outbreak there. The daily death rate there is about 5% of its peak (100+ a day then, ~ 5 now). They experienced the pain in the beginning, and now seem to be benefiting from their strategy. The economy there has taken less of a hit on average, however haven’t done any extensive reading on it.

Yes, financial impact, social separation, social confinement (abusive environments you cant escape). I have also read in passing that number of child abuse cases are down, which they do not think is a good thing as it is surmised that it is down due to isolation. A lot of child abuse cases are reported through schooling.

The observed increase is not that great, and if you toss out Alberta, it isn’t clear. Given Alberta’s grim economic situation that predates COVID, it may not be the issue. The CERB may even have saved lives in Alberta, because unemployment was destigmatized compared to February. Crisis lines are apparently much busier, so the wave might yet come. Our suicide rate is a lot worse in the winter months. But there has been far more media coverage, along with social media commentary, about the models that show projection. That leads to the bizarre observation that some of my ratlicking contacts on social media happily post the suicide models as evidence that covid restrictions are terrible, yet deride the covid epidemiology and mortality models as made up.

I don’t know if it will be winter that makes it worse, or the return to school providing a hell of a lot of new vectors right when a lot of people are mentally done with restrictions and ignoring them. But certainly, the more time we spend indoors, the more spread seems to occur.

Sweden has become the darling of the ratlickers, which ignores the high level of voluntary compliance since May - and also ignores the fact that their economy has taken a significant hit anyway, worse than Denmark or Norway, both of which had far more extensive restrictions. Denmark is a much more interesting country to look at - in particular because they have opened up schools (again, they did in the Spring too) without serious problems. They have prioritized their measures fairly effectively - about the same cases per million population as Canada, less than half the deaths per million. However, because they did not let anyone do whatever they wanted, the covidiots don’t find the fact that they are seeing better economic and health results than Sweden interesting, and they are not held up as a model.

edit: FFS, Ottawa just reported the highest daily cases since May 3, the day before most kids start going back to school

6 Likes

Job losses would play a part, but I would say a lot of various reasons liked to mental health not being addressed due to isolation and not being able to seek the right help

1 Like

UK cleared an average of 3000 cases a day over the weekend. Not far now before we reach the same level as the first peak. At the current rate of increase this could happen by the end of the week!!!

Timing vis-a-vis return to school is horrendous.

There is an obvious increase in stress as result of this situation, but one of the big issues is the services and support networks were affected for people who were previously using them.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Our lasted 4 days before a sniffle etc. had to keep him home. Reports of school children having to self isolate after positive tests in the class room all over the place.

The speed of the increase that is really alarming. The curve has become very steep again.

What I’m not certain about is that if children get the virus but have a low risk of it being serious how much of a carrier / transmitter are they? It could literally create a new tidal wave if they can infect whole households.

I used to work at a school for kids between 3 1/2 to 7 years. After one year I quit, I was forever catching a cold, bronchitis, sore throats etc, it was like being on a carousel with coughs, snotty noses, sneezes ad infinitum.

Kids are perpetual germ carriers, they share everything (even hankies I noted) and love getting up close to each other - why nits thrive in schools. Don’t get me wrong, I love them to bits, but all these things are normal, but being assumed as abnormal now.

3 Likes