The Film Thread

Kingdom of Heaven is good, but that’s the sort of film that is really in his wheel house.

I could be getting my timeline mixed, but wasn’t KoH before Gladiator?

After, sir. Both in real history and filmography.

I knew historically it was, but for some reason I was thinking it came out prior

I liked Prometheus and The Martian was pretty good. Ridley Scott is 85 now, so how much more might he have in the tank. I say make Gladiator 2 a musical and use Russell Crowe’s impressive vocal capabilities he demonstrated in Les Mis.

As long as Hans Zimmer Inc. ( :face_vomiting: ) isn’t involved in the music.

Listen to this on a loop. You’ll be begging for that Interstellar soundtrack.

1 Like

Listened to it twice, as an experiment. Still better than Zimmer. Maybe a week of it might change my mind, but can’t be bothered.

Don’t mind it too much if the movie is not in French or they use foreign places, especially for certain battle scenes. It’s actually one of the lesser problems. Places have obviously changed in the last 200+ years. Plus the technology these days. And the topic is universally known. But at least be more accurate. It’s not like you have to invent anything from that era, it was full of twist and turns in a relatively short period of time. It really doesn’t need to be extra fabricated. Stick to facts and that is already more than enough for a quality story. Truth is, that character is very hard to play. It’s no easy task. Kubrick had Jack Nicholson and Audrey Hepburn in plan to play Napoleon and Josephine. Over time, there were some decent movies and less famous actors doing a very good job.

1 Like

I’m such a Kubrick nerd, that I not only bought that giant book about Kubrick’s Napoleon, but actually read it completely. Do you know that one?

1 Like

Oh yeah I know about that one, a number of little books within a giant book. Where did you get yours?

Oh, I didn’t get the fancy limited edition, just the one for peasants. :wink:
But that’s still 1100 pages, most of them in ridiculously small font.

Cool stuff, I might try to get one also.

Renfield - Shit

1 Like

The funny thing about historical accuracy is that even when trying to be as authentic as possible it still doesn’t work.

Christopher Nolan insisted on Dunkirk being filmed on the actual beaches where the evacuations took place… now go on youtube and look at any criticism of Dunkirk. They all mention that that is not what the beaches looked like “That flagpole wasn’t there” :joy:

I thought the Martian was better than good, I really enjoyed that one.

3 Likes

The only negative it had for me was how close to the release of Interstellar it was and how similar the circumstances of Damon’s character was.

1 Like

I guess Disney just don’t like money. There’s 6 dwarf roles stolen by diverse actors. As for Snow White…… It’s funny as I remember a gag about a PC production in the 80s called Snow Brown and the 7 people of stunted growth (or similar) Nah, PC scare story, never happen. Well, here we are. Fuck off Peter Dinklage.

I always imagined that a live action version of Snow White would end up looking like Time Bandits.

2 Likes

Wish it did, Terry G could direct it. Would be a million times better than what this will be. No idea why you’d do a live action remake of THE classic Disney movie and burn it down. If you don’t like the title of the movie, do a different one.

Roll on Jamie Bond.