The Film Thread

Bradley Cooper in new film - Maestro…

Bradley Cooper playing a serious role that downplays his looks is his version of Tom Cruise doing his own stunts.

Yeah dude we get it. You’re not just the handsome one from the hangover.

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

You haven’t seen the stunts Cooper does as Bernstein yet, all with a baton.

Apparently, there is murder going on behind the scenes, because they gave him an elongated prosthetic nose, so that he would look more Jewish…!!!
They are complaining, if that is the case, why didn’t the part go to a Jewish actor :man_shrugging:

Arent the people complaining about that being racist kind of telling on themselves?

Surely if they’ve given him a prosthetic its to make him look more Bernstein specifically, not to make him look “Jewy”

Character profile - ugly, rich and malevolent in their pursuit of power
Racist critic - that is so racist they gave that role to someone who isnt jewish

Here is some of the article… Some moan for the sake of moaning.!

Bradley Cooper unrecognisable in new film — but fake bigger nose blasted as ‘Jewface’

Netflix’s upcoming Leonard Bernstein biopic, Maestro, had viewers gawping at Bradley Cooper’s new look. But others were left outraged and made ‘Jewface’ claims at his prosthetic nose

Bradley Cooper looks completely unrecognisable in his new Netflix role – but fans have been left outraged for pandering to “Jewface” stereotypes.

The Academy Award-nominated actor has a visibly bigger nose as he plays American composer Leonard Bernstein and and it has left fans uncomfortable.

Viewers of the trailer for upcoming movie, Maestro, scorned the prosthetic as “offensive” and akin to “Black face”.
Bradley, 48, has swapped Marvel for musicals as he stars opposite Carey Mulligan, who plays his wife Felicia Montealegre in the highly-anticipated flick.

But anger was sparked when the newly-released trailer showed the Silver Lining’s Playbook star transformed with grey hair and wrinkles to play the Jewish West Side Story composer.

It’s left a bad taste in viewers’ mouths.

Some made ‘Jewface’ claims, a term which comedian Sarah Silverman characterises as a when a “non-Jew portrays a Jew with the Jewishness front and centre, often with makeup or changing of features, big fake nose.”

One infuriated person wrote: “Bradley Cooper wearing a prosthetic nose to play Leonard Bernstein is the equivalent of Black face.”

Another agreed: “I love Bradley Cooper and I do want him to get an Oscar but - I understand the ‘Jewface’ concerns.”

Others maintained that Bradley’s nose was already the right size for the role, and that the prosthetic was unnecessary.

A user scoffed: “The real Leonard Bernstein did not have the funny nose that Bradley Cooper is wearing in Maestro.”

A second added: “There was no need for Bradley Cooper to add an odd prosthetic nose on top of this to play Leonard Bernstein… as his own nose is longer!

Others were left questioning why Bradley, a non-Jewish man, was playing the role when there are “so many great Jewish actors out there”.

Maestro is set to hit Netflix on December 20 this year

Aye, when will the Jews finally get their shot at Hollywood

Jewface is like blackface as it is intended as a parody of a Jewish person. This is just makeup to make him look like an actual person who just happens to be Jewish. There’s a big difference.

At one time it was common in film to make up an actor of one race to look like another. One of the main reasons that they stopped doing that was because it looked crap. Based on the pictures above I would genuinely have taken that as a picture of the real Bernstein.

As to whether they should have used a Jewish actor is another matter. Even if they did, they would have had to use a fair bit of prosthetics just to get the ageing effect (assuming that they show him at different ages). The alternative to that is to use actors of a different age which can be disjointed on its own.

1 Like

Barbie > Oppenheimer

1 Like

We watched Asteroid City this evening and I found it a much better film than Grand Budapest Hotel. The humour was much more accessible. Not perfect by any means, but definitely better.

Heart of Stone

Hated the British accents, made for cringe dialogues, mission impossible rip off with Gadot parachuting her way around everywhere and all those stunts to avoid a life threatening disaster…ridiculously implausible, still don’t get how she managed to escape on bare foot in the desert after being chased my an army of mercenaries. Suppose they had to find some way to make the film fun and entertaining which they did a good job of doing tbh.

2 Likes

At least she doesn’t do her own stunts. I saw the first half and then saw the end, I don’t think I missed much.

Yep. Absolute garbage

Maybe that was part of the problem, could’ve done with a few tips from the main man himself because the chase scenes were as basic as it gets.

1 Like

MI: Dead Reckoning P1

Fuck yeah. This franchise is the bomb. Born and dies with Cruise. Ilsa :cry:. Ready for part 2 now.

Interesting reality check on MI: whatever the fuck this one is given @Klopptimist has long proclaimed this a box office success demosntrating what should be done to make films commercially succesful

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-hits-box-office-milestone-while-remaining-second-lowest-grossing-film-of-franchise/

Sure that piece is a month old, and this film will likely have a long tail, but its still only at 550m and was estimated to need to come close to 1 billion for this to be considered a success given its production and marketing costs

1 Like

You got all the way through it? I had no idea who was the villain, where it was going and couldn’t have cared less. Tired of action movies that think techno gadgetry is enough.

3 Likes

I did yes as I was still mildly entertained by it and to see just how well Gadot could lead what I’d imagine was a big budget release, the villain is revealed when the twist comes about 1/3 of the way in, there’s only very few I either haven’t got through or dozed off halfway through in like some of the shit the coen brothers make….even fewer when it comes to action films.