The Film Thread

Again, I dont understand the relevance to this as a response.

How these companies will approach streaming is likely to change significantly over the next several years and as consumers we should probably be prepared for that. The fact the parent companies are otherwise making money is irrelevant, but the strike is entirely relevant given the attitude of the studios is largely driven by significant concern over not knowing how to make money from streaming, and for the legacy companies that happening while the reliable business of linear TV is dying.

1 Like

I saw Barbie this weekend. I thought it was hilarious. Especially given it was produced by the toy company itself, there was every potential for it to be mediocre. It is not. A clever script, big stars who nails their parts, even a big song and dance number (as a fan of Indian film, I think every movie should have one). Five stars.

1 Like

Just think how much better Shawshank would have been if they’d all started dancing in the yard.

1 Like

Unless something unexpected happens (Aquaman 2?) the 3 top grossing films of the year will be Barbie, Mario, and Oppenheimer, and that will be the first time since 2001 that the list was made up without a single sequel.

Have you ever seen the footage of the dancing prisoners in the Philippines? The jail has a full time choreographer who comes in and teaches them routines they perform to put on the internet?

The prison governor who brought in the idea did so afer watching Shawshank and seeing how excited they were during the scenes where Andy plays Opera over the loudspeaker :joy:

3 Likes

Or The Shining for that matter. Roy Scheider wowed as a song and dance man in All that Jazz. I imagine him belting out a tune with Robert Shaw in Jaws. No, sir, you must immerse yourself in the Bollywood of the 1990s to understand this point.

1 Like

Yeah- I’ll give that a miss, thanks.

3 Likes

Did you not admit to me once to having seen Kuch Kuch Hota Hai? Or was that someone else?

I haven’t watched a Bollywood film since Sholay.

1 Like

How I Met Your Mother Reaction GIF by Laff

1 Like

because you’re not as involved in the movie business as I am.

I’m not worried about Disney+ losing billions of dollars, as an overall company they do just fine. I have their entire catalog on storage drives so not worried if the convenience of their website goes offline. I’d actually prefer it, kids are spoilt these days for on-demand television without commercials.

1 Like

M3GAN

A malfunctioning robot with an evil mind of it’s own that stretches the line of reality but just about manages to stay on the right side of the AI, makes for a pretty fun watch once she feels like she’s been double crossed. Dunno why but the dance in the hallway scene I absolutely loved. Bring on the sequel.

Watched Barbie. Very good film. Ken was the highlight though, I can’t lie

1 Like

It’s because your responses are completely unrelated to anything I’ve said and that would make it difficult for anyone to understand why it is being said or what they are supposed to take from it.

I too am unworried about Disney as an overall business. That they will (likely) be fine regardless is completely irrelevant to my point about what consumers should expect of changes to the streaming landscape over the next several years.

1 Like

Wonder what it will all look like. Agree, too many players in streaming now. Probably only Netflix and Disney are making a profit. I only still have cable because it’s how I access the Premier League. What happens when the cable audience becomes too small for major sports to agree to bundle on it?

1 Like

the entertainment market in general has completely evolved. I remember when Neilsen ratings were taken from a standalone box on the TV. Now they are getting data right from the cablebox/SmartTV due to the nature of digital content.

I’m not at all surprised the Streaming providers have followed the lead of old TV and are releasing shows on a weekly basis just like they did in the times of cable. People are a fickle bunch and they like schedules, plus it helps the companies space our their releases in a structured manner to allow the writers time to get working on the next season.

What kills me, is that it all falls on the shoulders of AWS and a select few other webhosting companies. Far too centralized for my liking.

People like schedules?

I Didnt Desus And Mero GIF by Bernie Sanders

Saw the recent mortal Kombat movie.

Wasn’t bad for its type.

Watched this Last Night… Slack-Jawed throughout…!!

Making decent content would be a start. Looking at you Disney. Ah, another female lead Starwars series trying (for the Nth failing time) to appeal to an audience who will never be interested. Can’t bring myself to watch Asokhatana, can’t even spell it.

Just make good Starwars. And make good Marvel movies. And good creative cartoons. Moana, Frozen, Ratatouille, Brave, TANGLED! Princess and the Frog all had non-male/human leads and were absolutely brilliant. P&F is my all time fav Disney movie. Just make more of this, please. Don’t shoot yourself in both feet by re-making old stories for “modern” audiences. If you don’t like the source material, write another story.

Imagine how many subscribers Amazon Prime would have now if ROP was even half as good as GOT. But no, we’re not telling a story, we’re inserting all our petty views into somebody else’s story. That’s why streaming is dying, the content is shite.

Anyway, finished Queen’s Gambit last night, absolutely brilliant. Loved it, highly highly recommended.

1 Like

I’d see it less as not liking the story and more as being risk averse. I read an article a while ago about African folk stories and mythology. Most of it is completely unknown outside of its original cultures but there must be wealth of original storytelling that would have broad appeal which isn’t just recycling European faery stories and trying to make them appeal to a global audience.

Having said that, you did pick up on Princess and the Frog which was taking an old Brothers Grimm tale and setting it amongst New Orleans Jazz royalty. I suppose that’s just a clever concept.