The Film Thread

To me, comparing the old with the new, this is easy… I never watch anything that has Sting appearing

1 Like

Taking Mrs SBYM next weekend.

Can’t wait. Thought Part One was ace.

1 Like

You didn’t like Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels?!

Oh, you’ll love this one. A friend and I are planning to see it again, apparently there’s a film theatre in Belgrade that offers IMAX screenings. I’ve never watched anything in IMAX and Dune 2 is as good as it gets to cross that wish off the list.

1 Like

[quote=“Nikola, post:2770, topic:126, full:true”]

You didn’t like Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels?!

I actually watched LS&TSB without prior knowledge he was in the film. Too late to stop viewing upon realisation then.
He is a guy I avoid watching, or reading about at every given chance :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve never seen the old film or read any of the source material, it looks spectacular but I can’t help but feel it’s another one of those movies that would likely have been better as a tv show just to let things breathe a little.

I learnt that one the hard way. I was a big Police fan and went to see the original Dune mainly because Sting was in it. I think that was the film that convinced me that he really can’t act!

1 Like

Luckily he isn’t in it for long is he? nor in Lockstock!

1 Like

He’s on screen for about a minute. He was still quite pretty back then but that’s all you could say about his performance. Oddly enough, I actually enjoyed the rest of the film. I can’t even remember him in Lock Stock… was it a cameo?

I’m trying to think of other things I saw because Sting was in. “Brimstone and Treacle” was good but I later saw the original Play For Today which was far better. “Artemis 81” was a late night play on the BBC which was, frankly, indecipherable (I should maybe see it when I’m not falling asleep). “Quadrophenia” was brilliant but I remember that more for Phil Daniels and Leslie Ash.

2 Likes

Sort of. He is the main character’s father who owns the pub that the gangster wants. He appears briefly several times in the film.

1 Like

Yeah, in many ways its a terrible film but I enjoyed it too.

1 Like

Watched it today. Very good cinematic experience. Masterpiece - not sure when I was able to say this the last time.

Zendaya stood out for me :heart_eyes::see_no_evil:

Can’t wait for part three.

2 Likes

Can anyone explain to me why films now have “threat” included in the warnings? I’ve googled it and haven’t been able to find a satisfactory explanation.

Sex, language (although it should be prefaced by “foul” or “bad”) and violence all make sense if a film is a 12 or 15 certificate.

But “threat”? Fucking snowflakes.

1 Like

You’re more threatening tbf.

2 Likes

It’s quite funny, actually, because I’m the least threatening person you could ever meet in real life.

Doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t hurt you, though.

It’s always the one you least suspect.

1 Like

Howling!

With some trepidation

1 Like

I’ve just watched Fight Club again, seeing that it’s 25 years old this year.

Utter shite.

3 Likes

Watching it at 60 is always going to be different than 85.

2 Likes

Good movie.

Each to their own. :sunglasses:

1 Like